This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

What Gives?

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello This is a minor problem which I am not sure I can even describe adequately. Sometimes, when I am connected to the internet via my speedtouch modem, I will find that I am unable to access the web. Invariably this is after I have either gone into a photo/word-type program (eg to manipulate images - such as removing red-eye etc or when writing text in open office org). If I then try to go back onto the net the normal home page will pause and eventually flash up the unable to connect message. I will likewise be unable to access any other pages. It is as if something I have done has blocked access. The modem is still shown as connected. The way around this is to diconnect and reconnect the modem (on screen, not physically). This usually enables me to connect to the net in the normal way. This does not always work. Sometimes I will get an unable to connect due to 'invalid name on the server' message. This leads me to reboot, which is usually succesful - but not always immediately. I am satisfied that this is not a server or website issue as the pattern has been repeated too often to be coincidental. It appears to be intermittent as sometimes it doesn't happen at all! I am curious as to what is happening here. I am generally happy with the performance of my PC and I certainly don't want to compromise that as I can live with this. Does this ring any bells with anybody as to what may be wrong - apologies for my efforts at trying to explain this. Thanks.
Hi nelclaret,

The most frequent problem and solution to intermittent modem function, is that
Problem - the modem is a very mini computer transfering large amounts of data - that "can" get mixed up (corrupted)
Solution - Turn off the power to the modem or unplug it for 10-30 minutes

This is referred to as "power-recycling" and allows the modem to return to factory correct settings.

Most folk who keep their machines on 24/7 may find a need to "power–recycle" every few months or more frequently.

Hope it's that simple.

Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI