Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

How do I know if my computer was "spyed" on?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 michlynn99

michlynn99

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:58 PM

How do I know if someone was somehow in my computer! Maybe looking at my emails or watching my i.m.'s through yahoo? I have Norton 360, but I don't know if someone could have got past it! So can people monitor your emails outside of your house? Also does anyone know if 811.com can be tracked? Thanks for helping! Yes I am clueless!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:14 PM

michlynn99, Posted Image

Good to see you here on WTT,

Not too sure what you are asking here, but if you put a password on your administrator account all would be well.

How many persons use your computer? Do you have guest accounts set up?

Here is a link from the signature of one of our staff members that may help you sort it out.

Enjoy the forum.

Best regards,

#3 michlynn99

michlynn99

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:47 PM

I'll try to make the question more clear! Is it possible for someone to go into my computer from another location and go through my emails (yahoo and outlook through a satellite connection) and monitor my yahoo i.m.'s? I was told a private investigator went into my computer and has a report on activity on my usage through the computer. Is this legal? Could this really have happened? Thank you!

#4 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 08:01 PM

michlynn99, If you had your computer turned on, had the correct software installed, gave permission to a person, they had the same software also installed, and you gave them a secret password...........yes it can be done. I hasten to add, only if you have given permission with a password and software as in the paragraph above states. If you leave your computer running, go to another country, you can access it yourself with certain software. Did you open the link I sent you in my previous post....it is self explanatory. regards,

Edited by tallin, 06 November 2008 - 08:01 PM.

#5 BHowett

BHowett

Silver Member

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:20 PM

Well there are many different variables here, to make a short answer for you question… yes it can be done, and no it’s not legal. It can be done through intercepting wireless signal, or installation of a backdoor. (It’s not hard to target one person, I work in and with law enforcement, so I have seen shady operators use these tactics)

If you were told “a private investigator went into your computer and has a report on activity on your usage through the computer” it most likely didn’t happen. That sounds to me like someone is trying to trick you in to telling them something you have been doing.

If you have doubt and think your system has been compromised I would suggest that you head over to the malware forum and get checked out.

Posted Image

Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead :)
Please be courteous, polite, and say thank you.
Please post the final results, good or bad. We like to know!
Search the Forums | Forum Help
Posted Image
My help is always free, but if you feel I have helped you and would like to make a small donation, please click ---> Posted Image

#6 HFCG

HFCG

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:I like historical buildings, ghost, and dogs &cats

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:25 PM

It is not legal, in fact it would be a serious crime! It would cost a lot to have some one do this. Doubtfull a privet investigater would commit this kind of crime. Any thing that was taken if it did could not be used against you in any court (criminal or cival) and they would be confessing to a FEDERAL crime if they tried. (no, I do not know how to spell)

Deo gratiam habeamus
Thank you for considering a Donation to What the Tech!
The purple text in my post are links for you to click on
Computer CPUs are designed so that the address of any piece of data in virtual memory is tracked by a single integer register. So the total amount of data the computer can keep in its working field depends on the width of these registers. A 32 bit register size enables 232 addresses (4 GB) to be referenced. Switching to a 64 bit register increases the available address space to (approximately) 16 TB. This is why 32 bit operating systems can only use up to 4 GB of RAM, and 64 bit operating systems can use much more. (I have a 32 bit system)