Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

no internet after vpn install & uninstall

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 loureed101

loureed101

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 07:06 PM

This was originally posted in Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal > HijackThis™ Logs and Infections Removal. I was told to post here after it was determined that my problem is not being caused by malware. Below is my original post and a link to it and the steps we tried.

I recently attempted to install a cisco vpn to this machine. After not getting the vpn to run correctly I also noticed my internet connection was no longer working as well. This machine is hard wired to a netgear router. The computer still sees the network and is seen by others, but after pulling up a home page my internet access fails using either firefox (my preferred) or ie.

http://forums.whatth...all_t96190.html

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 03:13 AM

Hi, Sorry to hear of the Internet problem. 1 If it started after you configured a VPN then a first step would be to undo what you did..........presumably you made a log file, either on a sheet of paper, or computer file, of the steps you took? if so then this will be of great assistance to you.........if not then at least you will know for the future! 2 Next step would be to use a System Restore Point to set your machine back to a System Restore Point, created just before the problem started. Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore and follow onscreen directions. (Note this procedure is not designed to affect correctly filed data files, but it is wise to always make sure your back up/copy/archive is always 100% up to date, accurate, reproducible and kept safe on removable media, before you make any changes to your machine. If no joy then we will need full details of your Internet access (cable dsl etc, model number of router together with the output data) after you have done the following: Start>Run type in the white box cmd OK a black command window will open Type in ipconfig /all hit Enter Key Note there is a space between the g and the / let us know the output To close the Command window type in exit OK and it will disappear. Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 loureed101

loureed101

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:33 PM

Thanks in advance for your help. System restore was tried and failed. Losing data is not a concern with this machine as everything important is backed up. I'm just trying to avoid re-installing the operating system. Internet access is provided by Cablevision via cable modem. It is a WebStar modem connected to a Netgear WPN824 router. The computer is directly connected via ethernet cable. The output of the ipconfig command is below:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Bruce>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : black
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI TX NIC
(3C905B-TX)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-10-4B-CD-CA-5C
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.6
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 8:15:54
PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, October 23, 2008 11:58:01
AM

C:\Documents and Settings\Bruce>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : black
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI TX NIC
(3C905B-TX)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-10-4B-CD-CA-5C
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.6
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 8:15:54
PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, October 23, 2008 11:58:01
AM

thanks again,

bruce

Hi,
Sorry to hear of the Internet problem.

1 If it started after you configured a VPN then a first step would be to undo what you did..........presumably you made a log file, either on a sheet of paper, or computer file, of the steps you took? if so then this will be of great assistance to you.........if not then at least you will know for the future!

2 Next step would be to use a System Restore Point to set your machine back to a System Restore Point, created just before the problem started.
Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore and follow onscreen directions. (Note this procedure is not designed to affect correctly filed data files, but it is wise to always make sure your back up/copy/archive is always 100% up to date, accurate, reproducible and kept safe on removable media, before you make any changes to your machine.
If no joy then we will need full details of your Internet access (cable dsl etc, model number of router together with the output data) after you have done the following:
Start>Run type in the white box
cmd
OK
a black command window will open
Type in
ipconfig /all
hit Enter Key
Note there is a space between the g and the /
let us know the output
To close the Command window type in
exit
OK
and it will disappear.

Regards
paws

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 01:17 AM

Hi,

The above line (taken from your ipconfig /all..... results indicated that you have an incorrect configuration
You would normally expect to see the IP addy of your ISP not the 192.168.1.1
Try this:
1 Enter the set up page of your router.
2 Check that your user name, password and particularly the DNS details of your ISP are set up correcty
3 save the changes, exit and reboot your computer , then power cycle your modem, and see how you go.

If still no joy then it might be best to get hold of the installation disc for your router and start again.
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 loureed101

loureed101

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:20 PM

when i run the ipconfig command on a working computer connected to the same router, i get virtually the same information. I tried running the network setup wizard, rebooted the computer, modem & router and i was able to pull up my yahoo home page, then it just hangs when trying to request another web site.

#6 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:33 AM

OK
For further instructions look here;
http://homepage.ntlw...ps/homelan.html
and
http://www.pcstats.c...t...1429&page=6
Regards
paws

Edited by paws, 24 October 2008 - 01:35 AM.

#7 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:43 PM

Is this a correct setting? Shouldn't Dhcp be Enabled on the router and off on the computer?
Tomk
------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

#8 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 24 October 2008 - 06:39 PM

DHCP is enabled on my 3 XP systems. Give the Open DNS servers a try, see if that resolves the problem. 208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220 [attachment=2128:TCPIP_DNS_settings.gif]

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown