I was using a Power Point program with a projector. After I finished, I closed the program and my display is now very large, almost cartoon-like graphics. I think this had happened before, but if I remember, I just right-clicked on my desktop and scrolled down to NVIDIA tab and clicked it and things just went back to normal. However, now when I click on the NVIDIA tab, it just opens the NVIDIA program.
How do I get back to a normal looking screen? Thanks.
Kurt
Hi Kurt,
It is possible that you can adjust the screen resolution.
You would do that in a "similar" way as what you described.
Right-click on any "empty" space on your Desktop.
Select Properties
Select Settings
In the Settings Panel - slide the screen resolution to the right maybe to 1152X864 or something similar
Click on the Apply(button) below
If you like the appearance, select to keep that.
If not, select to cancel and go back to moving the Slider a bit further to the right.
If you have no ability to move the Slider, then you will have to reinstall your nVidia Drivers
Keep us posted with your progress.
Doug,
I'm back. Now that I'm awake and seeing clearly, I can see that there is still something different with my display. I was able to get it back to a normal size, but things are still not normal. For example, the text all looks a bit fuzzy and not crisp and clear. Any other suggestions?
Kurt
That's a broad complaint.
I hope you can provide a bit more specific information.
If it is seriously "obvious" to the viewing eye, it might even be useful for you to post a screen-shot.
What display monitor do you have?
Have you attempted to change the screen refresh rate? <– Most LCD's have a narrow tolerance for changes.
Have you attempted to change the Fonts? <-Windows doesn't like this.
Have you changed the Performance vs Appearance settings <– Right Click - My Computer - Properties - Advanced(tab) - Performance(settings)
Give us a bit more information if you can.
Best Regards
Doug,
I am using an hp laptop which is a couple years old. The monitor is the laptop monitor.
I haven't changed the refresh rate or the fonts. However, this change that occurred seems to be global, not just affecting fonts, but the entire look, including size and look of the icons on the desktop, etc. If you can post how I can take a screenshot and send it, I will do that.
Again, this happened after using a Power Point projector and I was able to resolve it before, but have forgot how I did it, or else something changed. Thanks for your help.
Kurt
You may benefit from experimenting with other Display Resolutions since the pixel numbers not only control the detail resolution, but also the screen geometry. For instance 1152 by 864 pixels – Try a different selection, such as 1280 by 720.
For clarification, I think those two selections offer the same geometry, but finer grain detail with 1280 by 720.
But you may have additional options available in your nVidia control panel that would better fit your laptop display screen.
To create a Screen Shot.
Above the keyboard keys labeled Insert - Home - Page Up, you will see a key labeled Prnt Scrn or similar.
Pressing Prnt Scrn captures your Display Screens current image.
Next open MS Paint or whatever other graphics viewer you prefer.
Select - Edit - Paste — to copy the Screen Shot image into the graphic viewer. Name and Save the Image <– ordinarily the default format is .bmp, but you can select .jpg for a less bulky file.
Specifically targeted Screen Shots can be produced of the "active window" to capture only portions of your Display.
To capture only the "active window" Press - ALT + Prnt Scrn — and then follow the same instructions as above.
Hey Doug,
That fixed it, finally. I did change the resolution the first time, but only changed it to 1280 x 800. That looked right, but was still fuzzy. I went back and changed it to the highest resolution setting it allows: 1440 x 900. That is apparently where it was before. Things look normal now and no longer fuzzy, etc. Apparently the Power Point projection settings automatically change the resolution down to the lowest setting and it needs to be manually reset.
Thanks for all your help.
Kurt
Kurt,
You are welcome.
Yes, your explanation about Power Point changing the resolutions to suit the projector and PP software, sounds about right.
I've had similar situations where some application inserted its own default settings and left my machine with a mess.
Then I've had to go back, as you have, to re-set the appropriate settings for best display or whatever else.
And sometimes ———- I sit here trying to remember….. "Now, how did I do that last time?"
Glad you got it sorted out.
Doug
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI