Software
M.S. office 2003
4 min read
Peter1
Topic Starter
I have been using Outlook Express and Works. I just clicked on M.S. Office 2003 b/c the new Canon AIO defaults to Word + does not recognize Works(I had only installed Word + Outlook from the Offfice Suite).
So, after using the low end, ez programs + b/c my printer wants Word I installed these two Office programs.
Now the Outlook wizard wants me to install it. BUT, it says it also finds O.E. and is asking me confusing questions. If I use Word, should I remove O.E.
I know this question is an opinion type one but; for non techs etc is it better to use O.E or Outlook? Currently, I have - 1-my web based email(Comcast), 2-Hotmail and 3-O.E.?
I think Outlook has better security and is a better program but I'm not sure. I need simplicity and security.
P.S. when you are browsing and hit a hyperlink that rquires an email program, usually O.E. opens -will word do that?
This issue is hard to express so thank you for any help you can give.
silverphoenix
hi there.
speaking of security, i "think" they're the same.
i know it's not much of the info you probably need but hope that at least settles some things in your mind.
no you don't need to remove OE. you can have OE, ms outlook and ms word all at the same time.Now the Outlook wizard wants me to install it. BUT, it says it also finds O.E. and is asking me confusing questions. If I use Word, should I remove O.E.
OE is plain and doesn't have much features compared to ms outlook. take a look at OE vs ms outlook. i love ms outlook more.is it better to use O.E or Outlook? Currently, I have - 1-my web based email(Comcast), 2-Hotmail and 3-O.E.?
this im not sure. all i know is to set ms word as default for all word doc.P.S. when you are browsing and hit a hyperlink that rquires an email program, usually O.E. opens -will word do that?
i know it's not much of the info you probably need but hope that at least settles some things in your mind.
tallin
Hi Grampy Pete,
My overall suggestion to you to simplify your requirement included in your post, would be to go to the latest Microsoft email program Windows Live Mail. I can recommend this as I have done it and life is so simple for me as far as emails are concerned now.
Read up about it before downloading and installing as it does one good thing which is to collect all your OE data automatically so you have not worries about loosing a thing if you currently are running Outlook Express.
Let us know how you progress,
kind regards,
My overall suggestion to you to simplify your requirement included in your post, would be to go to the latest Microsoft email program Windows Live Mail. I can recommend this as I have done it and life is so simple for me as far as emails are concerned now.
Read up about it before downloading and installing as it does one good thing which is to collect all your OE data automatically so you have not worries about loosing a thing if you currently are running Outlook Express.
Let us know how you progress,
kind regards,
Peter1
Thank you for your suggestions. I have to think this over and when i conclude what I want and need I will write if I need more help. 
tallin
Tallon41
That depends on the version of Outlook. For Outlook versions prior to 2003, there are not many reasons to recommend it.I know this question is an opinion type one but; for non techs etc is it better to use O.E or Outlook?
Starting with Outlook 2003 there is a Junk-Mail Folder, (and filter,) with the ability for the user to customize it. This catches lots of spam before it hits your inbox.
Tallon41
Peter1
I removed Outlook and am using O.E. as my needs are minimal.
Thank you
paws
Hi GP,
I think you probably made a good choice…Outlook Express is basically a simpler version of Microsoft Office Outlook and it suits a lot of folks just fine.
Regards
paws
Peter1
Hello paws
It took a long time for me to resolve matters but I told you I would let you know the results so here they are.
Tallin informed me that Windows Live Mail has succeded O.E. if my interpretation of his note is correct.
Whether or not, I will use WLM as my default email program to open hyperlinks etc. I will also use it as my alt. address.
My wife wants her ISP's web based email but I can still use my WLM.
If I want to go to a newsgroup, I will do a 'search' there for any replies but I come here all the time anyway..
I have gotten well meaning advice form others and sites that seem to say interfaces are ez to set up to those who advocate buying programs to do the job - I saw two for free.
Most of the info seemed to say O.E. can be set up easily but as we speak my isp sent a notice it will no longer support newsgroups.
This culminates a very long investigation as I know nothing about interfaces etc. Perhaps some of this is incorrect but after gathering as much information as I could, this is my plan.
Thank you for your continued support.
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI