Have:
Windows XP Pro, SP3; Avast Free Anti-Virus; Zone Alarm Free Firewall; Linksys Router
Problem:
When I run Gibson Research's "Shields Up", it fails the Ping Test. I can't figure out how to configure Zone Alarm to prevent this. I have never had an intrusion or a virus on my computer. Incidentally, older versions of Zone Alarm used to protect me from the Ping Test, but a couple of upgrades ago, this changed.
You noticed this a couple upgrades ago? Ummm, did you inquire about it then?
I would run a supplemental malware scan with Malwarebytes's Anti-Malware (MBAM) to be sure your system is not infected. You should do the same with all computers on your network.
Is that Ping Test failure with a wired, or wireless connection?
You also need to look in the router's menu. For linksys routers, this is normally done by entering the router's IP (the default being 192.168.1.1) into your address bar. Then look in the DMZ - make sure your computer is not in there.
In any case, a failed ping test would only be testing your router, and not your computer.
P.S. We used to do some serious partying out in the White Tanks back in the early 70s!
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI