Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91702 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Gibson Research Ping Test Fails

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 silverfox77

silverfox77

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Computers & Old Cars

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:42 AM

Have: Windows XP Pro, SP3; Avast Free Anti-Virus; Zone Alarm Free Firewall; Linksys Router Problem: When I run Gibson Research's "Shields Up", it fails the Ping Test. I can't figure out how to configure Zone Alarm to prevent this. I have never had an intrusion or a virus on my computer. Incidentally, older versions of Zone Alarm used to protect me from the Ping Test, but a couple of upgrades ago, this changed.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Digerati

Digerati

Built, broke, fixed, learned.

• Tech Team
  • 3,641 posts
  • MVP

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:40 AM

but a couple of upgrades ago

You noticed this a couple upgrades ago? Ummm, did you inquire about it then?

I would run a supplemental malware scan with Malwarebytes's Anti-Malware (MBAM) to be sure your system is not infected. You should do the same with all computers on your network.

Is that Ping Test failure with a wired, or wireless connection?

You also need to look in the router's menu. For linksys routers, this is normally done by entering the router's IP (the default being 192.168.1.1) into your address bar. Then look in the DMZ - make sure your computer is not in there.

In any case, a failed ping test would only be testing your router, and not your computer.

P.S. We used to do some serious partying out in the White Tanks back in the early 70s! :wacko: ;)
kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gif Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────