This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows Program Problems

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Heya, I've posted in the Virus section to, but just in case theres another way to fix what its done I thought I'd post here. After an infection: Windows Explorer will not open a window to browse in, although the process shows up in the task manager. Same for internet explorer. Windows media player will open but will just hang indefinitely on the first screen. Windows messenger will never sign in. The sound icon no longer shows up in tray. Win+e is no longer a shortcut to explorer but to null.(eg unassigned) I cant right click my desktop And lastly System restore wont work, after reboot it says it has failed. Any advice?
Hi VirusRolled,

I'm afraid I can't help you with the programs but I can hopefully fix some of your other problems.

To get your sound icon back:
Go to Control Panel > Sound and Audio Devices and go to the Volume tab and check the box for "Place volume icon in the taskbar".

To get right click for your desktop look at this Microsoft article.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555362

Also, what do you mean by win+e, I've never heard of keeping a shortcut to windows explorer, windows explorer automatically runs when you open a folder.
Hey sweet, thanks for that. Except dragging etc is enabled, yet no right click :P Windows Key + E opens a windows explorer window usually in "my computer", Just like windows key + L locks the screen. Sorry if that was unclear :P
Hello VirusRolled,

:welcome:

As you have posted in the HJT Forum, we cannot help you here until your system has been cleared of all Malware.[external image: Posted Image]

The reason for this is your settings need to remain the same as in your HJT log posted earlier.

Please feel free to post back into this forum when you have been cleared if you find you have other problems.

Thank you for your patience as the Malwarre Forum is very busy. If you have not had an answer to your log in 5 days, please post a gentle reminder here

kind regards,

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI