This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

ActiveX error messages

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi all,

I had some virus problems with my computer a month or so ago and got that cleared up on here. I was directed to come here and start a topic with a link back to the thread where that was worked with so here's that link.

http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=112143

This appears to only be happening on AOL and only on about 1/2 the sites I go to. But that's far too many and it's really becoming annoying. I think what happened is that I may have reset something in the browser permissions after I found out I had gotten the viruses and now I can't figure out how to undo what I might have done. Whatever it is, it's not something in the other thread or that someone here told me to do and it does appear to only happen when I am on AOL and not on MSIE or Firefox. However, I don't use MSIE very often at all so I am not 100% positive but it's quite annoying. It even happened on here.

This is the message. Can someone please help me? This is a white popup that pops on my screen with an annoying DING! LOL

Thanks!!!

One or more ActiveX controls could not be displayed because either:

1) Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on
this page, or
2) You have blocked a publisher of one of the controls.

As a result, the page may not display correctly.
Hello CoolCat,

Since you didn't specify the version of Internet Explorer you're using I can only provide general advice, to try resetting Internet Explorer's settings to their defaults. The article linked to here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 provides details on resetting for Windows XP, it applies to Internet Explorer 7 & 8.

For version 6:

Start Internet Explorer
Click Tools, Internet Options, Programs, Restore Web Settings
Then exit out of the settings dialog and IE6 itself.
Relaunch IE6

Rich
Hi, I'm really sorry I didn't specify. The thing is, AOL's browser appears to be MSIE 6 whereas I have MSIE 7 as a stand alone (I think that's what it's called.) What I did was go into AOL's Settings, then Browser Settings and clicked on "reset all zones to default" but I am not sure where exactly. I'm not sure if I did that on all of the tabs or just on trusted zones or whatever. And I don't know why AOL's MSIE would be so different from the one that comes with the computer. So which method should I really use? Oh and this is on my Acer laptop with Win Vista, not the older desktop. Thanks!!!
Hi, You can try the first set of instructions for IE6 mentioned previously, the procedure should be identical on Vista. Try it with AOL's browser. Otherwise for IE7 on Vista: 1. Exit all programs, including Internet Explorer (if it is running). 2. Click Start . Type the following command in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER: inetcpl.cpl The Internet Options dialog box appears. 3. Click the Advanced tab. 4. Under Reset Internet Explorer settings, click Reset. Then click Reset again. 5. When Internet Explorer finishes resetting the settings, click Close in the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box. 6. Start Internet Explorer again. I'm not sure about exact differences between AOL and vanilla versions of IE, except the visual layout generally. Best bet is to try the AOL browser first, resetting it and trying again. Rich
OK, I'll try that now. It's the AOL browswer that seems to be giving me all the problems, not MSIE 7. If the AOL fix doesn't work, I'll do what you have suggested for MSIE 7. Thanks!!!
I just wanted to let you know, the above solution worked like a charm. You guys can close this thread or lock it or whatever you need to do. Thanks, again!!! :-)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI