This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

how can i uninstall service pack 3?

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

When the service pack 3 was installing the spybot kept popping up and asking if changes could be made and i clicked no on several of them before i realized what it was for. I would like to uninstall it and reinstall it or go back to service pack 2 whichever is best to do. I tried to uninstall it with pc decrapifier but was not successful. Any advice on what i should do to correct the problem?

Any advice on what i should do to correct the problem?

Umm, what problem? You only described how it was broken; you did not say what is broken now and what is operational.

Does your computer boot? Are you getting errors? What are the symptoms now?

What method was used to install SP3: Windows Update, CD, or downloaded install file?

Why did you use PC Decrapifier? According to the company's description here, "The PC Decrapifier is a program designed to remove or uninstall a specific list unwanted software in an unattended fashion. It can be used to clean off most of the annoying software that is typically shipped with newer PCs."

Did the normal methods fail - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer

Also, it is always nice to know the make and model of the computer we are working with, or the motherboard if self or custom built.
Download the redistributable exe version of SP3 and save it on your hard drive or burn it to a CD:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details…;displaylang=en

Then read this MS article on how to install SP3 (applied to SP2 as well):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Once you've download SP3, physically disconnect from the internet by unplugging the Ethernet cable or disabling the internet connection in Network Connections. Now disable all Spyware (especially programs like Spybot Tea Timer) and anti-virus software.

Install SP3 using the exe. After reboot, enable Spyware and Anti-virus software then re-enable the network connection or plug in the Ethernet cable.

This is the process I've followed dozens of times and not had a single SP3 install problem (yet!).
Well, this might be a problem because during a major installation like this Spybot will bombard you with prompts. It would be best for you to disable (temporarily) TeaTimer (Spybot>Mode>Advanced Mode>Tools>Resident) and continue with installation.

The problem here is that even that little tiny piece or file of SP3 gone missing, it will drastically affect the installation (it's not impossible, but it can be a potential).

There is no point in using PC Decrapifier like Digerati said, unless you are using it on a new machine or removing all the gunk on another machine.
-
Disable Spybot and run Windows Update. Windows XP SP3 should come out as a "Recommended" update. If not, then Custom.
I also have a question about sp3. I have had an automatic windows update which fails every time it tries to install. After looking for poss. solutions on the web, I decided to uninstall all the updates I had to before sp3. However, when I tried to uninstall it failed with the message that a file, which was unspecified, was not found. I used both the add/remove programs route and the hidden $NtServicePackUninstall$ folder, neither method worked. I have subsequently re-installed all the updates I uninstalled but I still have the original problem - an update for Excel KB951546 fails each time with error 1406 Any help or comments would be appreciated; I can't run excel any more - which is very irritating. :unsure:
Artemesia, please start your own thread so it can be addressed as a separate issue, thanks. \\Please indicate if SP3 is still installed or not as I can't tell from your post.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI