Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

spoolsv.exe : Is this bad?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SashimiOnly

SashimiOnly

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:47 AM

HI All.... I ran my Norton anti-virus overnight and woke up to this.... It found spoolsv.exe, "spoolsv is attemting to listen for connections from other computers." Should I be concerned about this and allow it to occur? Thanks for your responses. Paul PS: I tried to post in the malware forum, but it said I did not have permision.

Edited by SashimiOnly, 07 September 2008 - 09:59 AM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Digerati

Digerati

Built, broke, fixed, learned.

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:43 AM

Should I be concerned about this

That depends. If spoolsv.exe is malware, then yes. But if that is the legitimate Microsoft print spooler program that normally resides in C:\Windows\System32, then you are fine.

I urge you to purge your system of clutter using Windows [XP / Vista] Disk Cleanup, ATF Cleaner or CCleaner. If you use CCleaner, then during installation, uncheck the option to install the Yahoo toolbar and before first use, go to Options > Settings > Advanced and ensure Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours is unchecked.

Note: Ensure you know your site credentials (user name and password) for sites you frequent before cleaning; you may have to login again at next visit.

Download, install, update, and run Malwarebytes's Anti-Malware (MBAM) to ensure your system is free of malware. Then do the same for all other computers on your network (everything on your side of the Internet gateway, typically a cable/DSL modem).

Make sure you do not have any print jobs waiting. Are you sharing this printer with other computers? Check your File and Printer sharing settings.
kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gif Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

#3 SashimiOnly

SashimiOnly

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 01:26 PM

Thanks BROTHER.... I'll do that....

#4 Digerati

Digerati

Built, broke, fixed, learned.

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 07 September 2008 - 01:50 PM

Keep us posted.
kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gif Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

#5 Tallon41

Tallon41

Silver Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:Bible<br />Sci-fi <br />PC tech.

Posted 07 September 2008 - 04:37 PM

Are you sharing this printer with other computers? Check your File and Printer sharing settings.

Good question, and the first place to start. Norton basically says that your printer is trying to share, but is prepared to block it, if you say so.

click Start ---- Printers and Fax, if this is not on the Start bar, then goto Control Panel and you should find it there, (if you don't see it, click "switch to classic view.")

If any of the Printer Icons are listed with a Hand under it, then you are indeed "sharing" that printer, and SHOULD allow that process to continue if / when Norton asks you again.

Tallon41

#6 SashimiOnly

SashimiOnly

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:24 PM

HOLY COW... I just installed Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware, it started sanning, 45 seconds into the scan, it already found 145 objects infected .... This is making me very worried. Is my system that badly infected? Is it finding legitimate files as well? I need feedback, fellas. 5 minutes in and the number remains at 145 objects infected. System info: win vista home premium, 64 bit, 4GB ram. Thanks for all your support. Paul

#7 Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Teacher Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:35 PM

I would head over to the malware removal forum MBAM is a very good scanner, so you must be badly infected

#8 SashimiOnly

SashimiOnly

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 08:09 PM

Hey Guys.... I removed all the MALWARE on my system and it is running in great form now.... Thanks for all your assistance.... I'm gonna head over to the HARDWARE room and ask a question there. Paul