Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Connection problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Leemo

Leemo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 05:58 PM

I'm not sure if i'm in the right forum for this is, so sorry and please move the topic.

I bought a new pc two weeks ago and since then i've been having connection problems.

When i tried to install my connection with the disc it stalled twice, i then found out i could still connect to the net anyway so just left it at that. I share the computer with two other's so (not sure on the correct term) we have split connections. On the two that aren't the admin a pop up keeps appearing asking to "Connect broadband connection 2" and for our username, password and to tick "me only" or "anyone who uses this computer" . When i write those in and press connect another pop up appears a few seconds later

Connecting through WAN miniport (PPOE)

a few seconds later this pops up

error 815: The broadband connection could not be established on your computer because the remote server is not responding this could be caused by invalid value for service name field for this connection. please contact your internet service provider and inquire about the correct value for this field and update it in connection properties

Logging options can also be acessed by clicking the remote access Preferences Menu item under the advanced menu of the network connection folder

I tried looking to find the different menus and stuff but i'm not to great on tech stuff.

I clicked "Network and internet" in the control panel the "Network connections" which brought up

{Broadband (3)

broadband conection
disconnected
WAN miniport (PPOE)

broadband conection
disconnected
WAN miniport (PPOE)

(big green tick here)broadband conection (2)
disconnected
WAN miniport (PPOE)

then

Lan or High Speed Internet (1)
network
Intel® (then lots of numbers)

I can still connect to the net. If i log in with my name it tells me i'm not connected, i log out log into admin were it tells me the net is connected, i log back into mine and i'm connected but keep getting the pop ups above. sometimes when you log staright into admin the connection is also down.

I know it says above to contact my internet provider but they run a terrible service so thought i'd try here.

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 11:11 PM

Leemo, Welcome to WTT. Let me see if I understand your situation correctly. It appears that you have one computer and one DSL modem. It also seems that you have 2 other individuals who use the same one computer and whose login user account status is Limited User, while your own user account status is Administrator. It appears that you all wish to use the internet when using each of your three separate login user accounts. It further appears that you used the installation CD that came with the DSL modem from your ISP to initially set up the DSL Modem? How am I doing so far? ___________________--- If the above is correct, then each time you boot your machine (turn it on from the completely shut-down condition) you will necessarily have to enter the username assigned from your ISP and your Password, to establish internet connection. At that time, or perhaps during the installation via CD you should receive an option to allow "any user" to have the connection active. Now if one of your friends is the one who boots the PC to their limited user account, they will still have to click on the PPOE internet access icon provided by your ISP and probably located on the DeskTop. To log in to the internet, they will have to enter the same (your ISP assigned username and password) in order to connect to the ISP Server to be assigned an IP for your computer and gain access to the Internet. "Logging in" via PPOE can be annoying and fraught with mishap. Some/many/most DSL modems will establish an "always on" condition after you log in the first time. Some will not. And some ISP's will terminate your connection if left inactive for a longer period of time. Thus you may be required to periodically "log in" again. A relatively simple solution that also adds a significant layer of security would be to add a Router between the DSL Modem and the Computer. When you "install" the Router, you will be led through a "wizard" that asks you the username and password and the domain of your ISP. Once you have the router setup correctly, it "remembers" your login information and maintains an "always on" status for you. Any user of the computer would then have access to the internet via the Router. The added layer of security has to do with what is known as a built-in NAT hardware firewall and the router function that "translates/reassigns" incoming and outgoing addresses such that the internet never "sees" you computer. The computer "sees" the Router as the source of the internet, and the internet "sees" the Router as the destination user, even though the router actually passes the internet connection on through to your computer. When you turn off your computer, you can safely leave your Router and Modem turned on overnight and/or for days at a time. It is good practice to "refresh" the modem - router connection every several weeks or more often by turning them off for a brief period of time before allowing them to be turned back on. Your router will have a "Default Administrator name" and a "Default Password". It is highly recommended that you change the default username and password to increase security. It is also highly recommended for you to create a new "limited user account" for yourself for purposes of your own internet browsing and general computing. Doing so will "dramatically" improve your security. I'm attaching a rather longer piece about Limited User Accounts for your convenience if you are interested Attached File  Limited_user_account_Security.doc   31.5KB   68 downloads Keep us posted with your decisions and progress. Best Regards, Doug
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 Leemo

Leemo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:24 AM

I'm not fully sure i know what i'm doing but i'll give it a go.

#4 Leemo

Leemo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 02:49 PM

Not fully clear on it :unsure: Your saying i need to buy a router? My idea was to delete all the BT Broadband (my isp providers) stuff off the pc and try to install properly

#5 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 03:28 PM

Hi Leemo, Yes, your proposed solution should do the trick. :thumbup: My recommended addition of a router has merit since it adds security and provides for an "always on" condition if desired. The recommended use of Limited User Accounts is a strong recommendation for all users without regard to the nature of their internet connection. Please let us know how it goes for you. Other readers will benefit from your hard work. Thanks, Doug
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.