I don't think this is repairable, but if it is I'm sure one of you guys can fix it.
I ran across a program called "Driver" something that was supposed to automatically update your computer's drivers. I got it from a buddy who gave it to me off of a pirate site. When I installed it, it totally trashed my computer. I'm not sure if I got it from his media (a USB drive) or the program, but my computer is messed up. Here are the symptoms:
1) Upon booting, where the time is displayed (lower right corner), it displays the time in 24-hour format along with "VIRUS ALERT!".
2) I have a split desktop and the second screen displays a biohazard symbol with the words "Your privacy is at risk".
3) The C: drive and Control Panel have completely disappeared and cannot be seen - along with several options in the Start Menu.
4) After roughly a minute, the operating system crashes and restarts.
I cannot restore the computer to an earlier time, delete the program, or anything else. I need to - I am assuming - manually delete the folder via MS-DOS as I believe that the virus is being run out of that folder. If I am wrong - which I probably am - please give me some other advice.
If this is in the wrong area, please move it, but leave a link to where it is going.
As of now I am working off of a laptop as my computer is pretty much unusable.
Thanks.
Steve
Seems like some serious trouble… This could be a possible SmitFraud infection because your symptoms described the modified wallpapers and the disappearance of the Control Panel… The Malware Writer's tactic is to scare innocent netizens (no so much this time, because you actively accepted it despite it was from a pirated/crack/warez site) into purchasing rogue malware products, who "claim" to remove malware, when the malware itself is themselves.
Once you have posted your HijackThis log, Do Not post a reply to your HijackThis log until we have posted a reply. We look for post without any replies first. If you post a reply to your HijackThis log you already posted, it appears to us you are already being helped.
Tallin,
No, it is not the same computer. I actually just had this one put together. I wanted the Driver downloader so it would detect drivers and update them automatically. I had my buddy download that software so that I could polish it all up. I just got done installing all of my games and POW, that virus hit my computer.
Now I'm stuck, any suggestions?
From the research I've already done, I hear it is the FATOOS-C virus and a program called svcsys.exe. I am trying to delete the registries now but Safe Mode is not launching and I'm getting just a black screen with "Safe Mode" in all 4 corners. Beyond that I cannot do anything. Is there any way I can get this thing going again? I had to pay a buddy $40 to install the operating system, I really don't want to go through it again.
???
Next morning…
Last night I managed to restore the computer to an earlier setting. It appeared to work and then I got a dialog box from Microsoft Enterprise 2007 stating that it was "configuring". I notice that this would launch when trying to use the Windows Explorer program. After canceling it 2 times, I finally admitted the program to run which let the virus reload itself and take control again. At this point I cannot run System Restore, but I can get the computer up in Safe Mode. Occasionally I can get it up in Safe Mode w/ Networking, but it is a gamble.
Somebody PLEASE tell me what I need to do here!
I am running Spybot S&D now, I am hoping that it detects this little nasty; however, if the virus is new, Spybot will be unable to update to get the latest anti-venom installment.
Man, does anybody know who makes these things?
Did you read my post #2? It doesn't seem like you didn't.
Spybot-Search&Destroy primary detects malware (spyware, trojans, worms, cookies, and some rookits) and is a anti-spyware tool and does not detect viruses. Your infection sounds like a spyware infection. You might as well run Spybot-SD with the latest definitions.
If you are going to manually edit the registry, back it up before doing so. It might make the situation even worse if you don't know what you're doing.
As drragostea has already posted:
You need to post a HijackThis log in the proper forum.
You "buddys" USB was/is infected and every pc he puts it in will become infected.
If you have any illegal Cracked/Warez/Pirated Software, I'd suggest you remove that first.
Topic closed.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI