I was on the computer tonight, writing a paper for school. Two times during the paper, word froze, and the second time i noticed that there was a little green icon in the bottom right tool bar place (next to the clock) and it said CPU usage 100%. I knew this was not good. I have shown no other signs of anything, But i am running Spybot Search and Destroy and Mcafee(outdated) to see if it finds anything. here is the log, and thanks for any help i get in advance. I will add The spybot and Mcafee results when i get them.
EDIT: I forgot to add i previously had a couple infections, one being a rootkit. I posted a forum about it, and after some work, one of your members gave me the "your logs are clean" that everybody wants to hear. I don't know if this helps. At the moment, Windows task manager says there is 52 processes running.
That doesn't seem good.
EDIT EDIT: Spybot S&D and Mcafee found nothing.
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 20:37, on 2008-08-20
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16705)
Well, my computer is running a lot slower than it should. It also says it has anywhere from around 40 - 60 processes running at a time, and I'm pretty sure I am not running all of those. I had a couple of those "YOUR COMPUTER MAY BE AT RISK" pop ups that usually mean spy ware, but spy bot hasn't caught anything.
Also, it may just be me, but after i uninstalled McAfee, it seemed like my computer started running even slower. It might just be my imagination, but I don't know.
I'll edit in a minute, I have to close everything for avast. Hold on.
Stay with this topic until I give you the all clean post.
You might want to print these instructions out.
I suggest you do this:
Double-click My Computer.
Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.
Click the View tab. Clear "Hide file extensions for known file types."
Under the "Hidden files" folder, select "Show hidden files and folders." Clear "Hide protected operating system files."
Click Apply, and then click OK.
Please do not delete anything unless instructed to.
Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune. Download - ATF Cleaner»
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
(If you use FireFox or the Opera browser
To keep saved passwords, click No at the prompt.)
It's normal after running ATF cleaner that the PC will be slower to boot the first time or two.
Next:
Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.
Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location and post the results.
Note: If you receive a notice that some of the items couldn't be removed, that they have been added to the delete on reboot list, please reboot.
Also "copy/paste" a new HijackThis log file into this thread.
Also please describe how your computer behaves at the moment.
Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)
Memory Modules Infected:
(No malicious items detected)
Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\xpre (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
Registry Values Infected:
(No malicious items detected)
Registry Data Items Infected:
(No malicious items detected)
Folders Infected:
(No malicious items detected)
Files Infected:
(No malicious items detected)
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 18:03, on 2008-08-29
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16705)
The computer is still running a bit slow.
44 processes running. As i was watching the CPU usage, it went from 100%, then down to 50, then up to 80, then 40, then 80, then 40, and that just repeated.
Avast is only at 40%, so that will be a while.
Re-boot and start up is about 2 times faster now that steam and all that doesn't start up automatically (I was trying to stop them from doing that but i couldn't find out how).
Down to 39 processes running, and the computer is running a bit faster. Avast found nothing.
The annoying part: CPU usage still at 100%. Its not dropping down to 40 and going back up, it is at a steady 100%, until every 20 seconds or so, where it will drop way down to 5 or 10%, then immediately jump back up to 100%.
EDIT: Scratch what i said about the computer is running a bit faster. From what I have seen so far, it is running WAY faster. We will see if that lasts. Hopefully it will.
Ok. Thank you so much.
I now have Avast, Spybot- search and destroy, Winpatrol, ATF cleaner, Zone Alarm, Malwarebytes, and Hijack this.
Seems I'll be pretty good to go if i ever get anymore malware.
One more question:Should I do what you said to so on ATF Cleaner (select all and delete) every once in a while, or no?
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance.
If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.
Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI