Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Waiting for the netwrok. wireless issue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ceeker

Ceeker

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 02:13 PM

Hi I'm new to what the tech and after some googling this seems like the only place i can turn to for my wireless woes. Router/WAP = SMC280WBRP-G NIC=DWA-542 (range booster N) I've purchased a new wireless adapter for a computer in my home. after installing it, the drivers and attempting to use windows XP to connect to my router/WAP, it hangs on "waiting for the network". I've been pulling my hair out on this one for a few days as i cant seem to figure out how to connect to my network. Here's what I've tried so far: Hardware wise I've tried the adapter in my Vista machine that worked fine. I've also completely removed the card from the problem XP machine. removed the drivers using a driver cleaner and reinstalling both card and drivers. No luck. Router/WAP wise i've tried. No encrpytion (WEP/WPA/802) changing my SSID. Changing my channel and trying "auto" channel. Disabling/enabling "g-nitro" (SMC speed booster thingy) and tried DHCP and static IPs In windows. tried disabling/enabling wireless zero service. manually assinging an IP (using ISP DNS) releasing/renewing. manually setting up a wireless profile and using some netsh commands. I can detect the network. it has full signal strength. but either connecting or using the windows XP repair function i cant get access to the network. using the ipconfig /all and release renew commands i get the message that the media is disconected and not in a permissable state to renew. I tried installing an old wireless card (a G wireless type) and it could connect to my network without much fuss. but it has 1 bar to "no signal or limited connectivity" and google take 6 seconds to load. but that did verify that the computer can use a wireless. a few question. since i;m using a N type NIC on a G router/WAP would that cause conflicts in XP? but on my vista machine using the N card i managed to connect to my G type router. so that one im up in the air about. I figured I need some fresh ideas as im basically out of them outside of buying a high gain attenna for my old wireless card in attempt to improve its signal. thanks in advance

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 LDTate

LDTate

Grand Poobah

• Root Admin
  • 57,211 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:59 PM

My only guess would be to make sure you're letting windows manage the wireless.

The forum is run by volunteers who donate their time and expertise.

Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.

Logs will be closed if you haven't replied within 3 days

If you would like to paypal.gif for the help you received.

Proud graduate of TC/WTT Classroom

#3 kazzoo

kazzoo

Authentic Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:54 PM

Greetings all, The DWA-542 is backwards compatable to G networks, so the technology is right. You have alread proved that the DWA-542 Nic works by putting it in the Vista machine. That NIC is Good. You know my first thought is to put the current one from the Vista machine that is working ( if it is compatible with Xp) and see if it will come up in Xp Then take that DWA-542 you know works in the Vista machine and bring it up. Voila problem solved. Two networked computers. Otherwise....If you want to try something before going to really indepth troubleshooting, put that DWA-542 nick in the Xp, go to Msconfig and uncheck all of the Dlink startup software and let Windows Wireless mange it. Some reference instructions should you need to help things along, if everything works will not need this. If your computer or your wireless network adapter did not come with its own wireless network software, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Run, type ncpa.cpl, and then click OK. 2. Click Network Connections. 3. In Network Connections, click to select your wireless connection, and then click Change settings of this connection. 4. On the Wireless Networks tab, click to select the Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings check box. To start the Wireless Zero Configuration service, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Run, type %SystemRoot%\system32\services.msc /s, and then click OK. 2. Double-click Wireless Zero Configuration. 3. In the Startup type list, click Automatic, and then click Apply. 4. In the Service status area, click Start, and then click OK. Lets see how this works for you. Regards Kaz.
Badgers? I dont need no stinking Badgers!

#4 Ceeker

Ceeker

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 04:41 PM

Thanks for the response :) i checked msconfig. the built in software that came with my NIC is not running. I checked the settings for the card and the windows configuration checkbox is checked. Also in serverices the wireless zero process is running. So we can rule out windows not having full control over the card. full signal strength and still waiting on the network. i tossed in my old wireless card into the XP machine also so i have both in there. I did this to see how windows worked with that card. It saw the network full signal strength also but upon successfully connecting to it; the connection droppped down to "no connection or limited connectivity" thanks for the help. still looking for any ideas if you guys can think of any :D

#5 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:50 PM

Do you have SP3 installed? I've seen several reports of SP3 messing up wireless network connectivity. For instance, http://forums.micros...o...4&SiteID=17

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#6 Tallon41

Tallon41

Silver Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:Bible<br />Sci-fi <br />PC tech.

Posted 28 August 2008 - 01:11 AM

When the message " Waiting for the network" appears, then a wireless host has successfully connected to the Router/WAP, and is now waiting on the DHCP server to assign an IP. If encryption were an issue, you would not get even that far. If you manually configured your IP info you should not see it. Some routers allow you to specify how many DHCP clients to allow on the network, and I've ran into a few users who set that number too low, and prevented legitmate users from receiving leases. That said, if you had manually connected, you would have no need of either the server or a lease. You COULD be outside the pool of valid IP's though, if that is being checked by the router. You are not using MAC address filtering are you ? Tallon41

Edited by Tallon41, 28 August 2008 - 01:11 AM.