This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Explorer.exe Restarts When Examining/Modifying Files

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Type of Operating System: Windows XP SP2 (fully updated with patches)
Browser Used: FireFox 2.0.0.16 (updated)
Age of PC: Less than 6 months
Problem occurs when: Modifying files (usually exe files but also with other shortcuts and files), sometimes when browsing
Error: explorer.exe usually crashes and restarts; sometimes the errors below.
The instruction at "0x7c911f2" referenced memory at "0x006f006a". The memory could not be "read".
Cannot read from source file or disk


Hi, for some reason whenever I am examining files (usually right clicking and then clicking delete or properties, but also when browsing), explorer.exe crashes on me and restarts. I have no idea what could have caused this to occur. I do know that a couple instances of drwtsn.exe pop up in task manager along with imapi.exe sometimes following a crash. Sometimes instead of explorer.exe restarting, it simply freezes until I 'end process' dr.wtsn.exe, after which, explorer restarts. Some files are perfectly ok for me to check its properties or delete (usually zip files, pictures seem ok, etc.), but other files bug out on me for no reason. I have checked files in various locations of my harddrive, but still notice the problem.

So far I have not encountered any problems browsing the web or using programs. It's only when I browse explorer or right click some files.

I have tried the malware support forum already, but they were unable to determine the problem after a series of diagnostics. The link is here: http://forums.whatthetech.com/Explorer_exe…752#entry480752

They have suggested that I come here to see if you guys have any clues as to what may be causing this.

As the link shows, I have run a number of anti-spyware and anti-virus scans, but have found nothing that would determine the cause of the problem. I've done a sfc /scannow command to verify windows integrity of files, but to no avail.

I would like to note that the problem did seem to be fixed once when I used 'ATF_Cleaner' that deletes all temp files from your PC. I'm fairly certain that I was able to examine all files without a problem, but a few hours later, I noticed that it started again.

I disabled drwtsn.exe from the GUI if you run it start->run… I unchecked everything from options. This didn't seem to fix the problem though. I did once try and delete drwtsn.exe from the registry manually, but I can't remember if that was before or after the problem. I restored the registry changes anyway.

UPDATE: Just noticed that dr.wtsn.exe still runs in my task manager. That's wierd.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Hello,
Please try this
Windows XP Explorer has a 'feature' to provide a preview in the Details box on the left of the file you have selected, if it’s supported. Image files, HTML pages, video clips, MP3s, etc are all previewed (even with the folder view open).

If you have a large movie clip and it either is corrupt (ie. no index from a partial download) or it uses an unsupported codec, then Explorer tries to load the whole file. This can slow your computer a lot and prevent deleting/renaming/moving/etc the file until it’s finished.

Simply do the following:
  • Click Start, then Run, type regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll and click "Ok".
  • A window will pop up saying that the file has been unregistered successfully. (If you don't receive this window, or the window gives an error, then please post that in your reply.)
  • Reboot your computer and see if the problem persists.
It most likely will not work, but it is worth a shot.
Thanks for the reply. I'm up for any possible solutions at this point. Unfortunately, the command did not work despite it saying that it was successful in unregistering. I forgot to mention that when I examine files on my desktop, this problem also occurs. I'm not sure if that narrows down the problem any. One example of an error that just occurred: I have an AntiSpyware setup file on my desktop. I click on it, press the delete button, then the 'cannot read from source file or disk' pops up. Explorer freezes on me. I have to end task dr.wtsn.exe for explorer to restart.
While starting your computer tap the F8 key once every second during the memory count up, or during the system splash screen where you see the system maker's name (HP, COMPAQ, DELL….etc.)

This will result in a text based menu. Use the cursor/arrow keys to navigate to SAFE MODE and hit enter.

Does the problem occur in safe mode?
If not,
Click this for a guide to using Memtest



Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible
With Memtest86 the Report is accumulated on-screen while the test is scanning with various patterns.
A Pass % (percentage of Test completed) keeps a progress tally of any single test Run.
Each portion of a Test Run is called a "Pass". The term "Pass" is misleading, in that people could think it means "pass" as in a passing score.
But it actually means a "pass" like the full swing of a digital photo copy scanner swinging across the page.

Then below that Pass percentage is the progress of the specific pattern test
Below that is Testing: which shows the amount of RAM being Tested
Below that is a description of the Test Pattern being "passed" during that portion of the test.
For instance moving "inversions" "1" and "0", Then 8 bit pattern inversions, then on and on….
In pattern fefefefefe , or 45a2d44d, fffffffed, 00000020, etc

Below that information is the Results Report
Time, - Cached(RAM) - RsvdMem - MemMap - Cache on/off - ECC - Test Pass - - Errors - Ecc Errs

The critical indicator is the (green) Errors item
(on the actual test screen it is not highlighted in green and I am just using the highlight to point you at the correct item)

We won't often see any results in the ECC Errs section since this is for ECC RAM which is most often used in Servers requiring Error Correction Chip RAM. (ECC RAM stick look the same as non-ecc, but have an additional small chip for error correction) non-ecc = 8x64, ECC = 8x64 plus one small additional chip
___________________________________________________

"Any" number other than Zero under Errors constitutes a FAILURE

Ordinarily the number will be a quite LARGE number, but a smaller number (constituting a Random Sequence Error) can be just as deadly to the accurate performance of a machine as a steady failure.
_____________________________________________________

The above information is "just how I have come to understand" MemTest86 results and does not constitute any sort of authoritative wisdom.

MemTest86 has quite a good Readme.txt that comes with the zipped download and as I recall also provides additional research links. It would be well to read it.
_____________________________________________________

At the very Bottom of the MemTest86 screen is the Navigation Bar

(ESC)exit ( C ) configuration (sp) scroll_lock (cr)scroll_unlock

To EXIT memtest86 - press - ESC
(No need to turn off the machine, it will simply proceed to attempt to boot into Windows)

To configure other information for viewing - press - C

To get out-of the "other information" popup, just hit "space bar"

Hope this helps.
I restarted in safe mode, but the problem still occurs. What's confusing me so much is that certain files crash explorer.exe guaranteed if I examine them, but others need a bit more messing around with before explorer finally restarts. It's wierd how it's arbitrary like that. I'm not sure if you only wanted me to run memtest if the problem wasn't occurring in Safe Mode, but since I'm about to head to bed and work on this more tomorrow, I'll run it overnight for the heck of it. I'm hoping this isn't some wierd kind of harddrive failure either (but the harddrive is only 6 months old and I'm not sure if the symptoms match, so I don't know).. I will post regarding the memtest results. Let me know if anything else can be done prior to that. Thanks.
I wanted to make sure that it is not a driver conflict. The issue happens in safe mode so it is most likely hardware. It may be faulty RAM. Age is not relevent in hard ware failures. Could be 5 days, could be 5 years, does not matter.
UPDATE***: Problem was caused by the 'intrusive' SECUROM shell extension that comes with certain games. I followed the instructions below in solving the problem after narrowing down shell extensions.

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/techfiles/e…er-crashes.html

I have no problems whatsoever now when I use explorer. Thanks for your assistance nonetheless HFCG. I really hope people with problems like this get forwarded to that site and get informed about securom because that's extremely intrusive.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI