Ron.M
Well your currently running processes look ok, but your computer's Mhz are very low, 398 is the lowest I've ever seen. Because of that, your CPU has to work very hard to run things. Mhz stands for Megahertz, on my computer I actually have 3.00Ghz, which is Gigahertz, a Gig is 1,000 times a Meg, and while my computer runs fast, it still isn't top of the line. So I'm fairly certain that your very low Mhz is the main reason your hard drive is making so much noise. There is not much you can do about your low specs other than a hardware upgrade, which can be costly, and you have to spend a lot of time finding the right pieces, and to top that you have a low amount of RAM memory too. So overall, your better off with getting a new computer than upgrading your hardware. However that's a decision you would want to think through for a while, but I can safely tell you that your computer is not a very good one, you should consider buying a new one if you have the finances. As for the problem at hand, aside from new hardware/computer, you can try to free up as much space as possible.
Here are some things you can do to free up space and help your computer run faster, which should make it easier on your hard drive:
Use
ATF Cleaner once a week to clear out your internet caches, giving you some extra space. When you use it, just Check the box called Select All and then click Empty Selected and give it 1-5 minutes. The longer it takes the more space it's freeing up, so don't worry.
Also, you yourself can go through your files and try to delete as many documents and programs as possible (aside from anything important or necessary). Try to uninstall any software you do not need and you do not use. Go to your Start Menu > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and look through your programs for any unused ones, then remove them.
Overall this may not make a visible (or in this case audible) difference but emptying out all your old files will help your computer run a bit faster and may help your hard drive, but it also may stay the same.
_____________________________________________________
That is pretty much my last advice seeing as your problem is pretty much just the way your computer functions, I do not believe it to be any one thing causing the problem, thus it is not very fixable. I wouldn't worry to much about it though, if your computer does start to overheat because of the hard drive then you can try cleaning out the fans by dusting or evening taking the hose of a vacuum and sucking up the dirt from the fans.
There are 7 questions I have for you as I am trying to gather as much information as I can.
1) When did this problem occur? Have you always had your hard drive making a lot of noise, or did it just happen recently?
2) How often does your hard drive make the noises, right after bootup, after bootup while your running programs, or all the time?
3) If this problem is something that recently occurred and has not always been there, what changes have you made to your computer in the past week, changes as in any major software updates, any new programs installed, moving your computer around the house or any new hardware you may have put on it?
4) Did Windows XP come installed on your computer? If not what was the first Operating System installed on your computer?
5) What year was your computer made in (if you don't know put when you bought it)? And did you buy it used or new?
6) How did you crash your first hard drive?
7) Turn on your computer and use it normally for at least 10 minutes (browse the internet, do work, play games, etc.), after 10 minutes (or longer is fine) put your hand behind where the fans on your computer are and just tell me the temperature (very hot, hot, cold, very cold, warm, just describe it in your own words).
Regardless of your answers to those questions, you should take my advice in the first part of this post as it will help your computer whether it runs fine or not. It will save you valuable disk space and give your computer an easier time while running.
These questions of mine are my last major ones (I hope) so please answer them as fully and descriptively as you can. Some of these I realize I should of asked earlier, however I hope to be of more assistance once your answers come in.
-Vectris