This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Hard Drive Issue

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

[external image: Posted Image]

This is the message I got from HD Tune pro, I've read around about the error (such as here:http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24175336-hard-drive-UltraDMA-CRC-Error-Count-on-2-different-HDD-s) and it doesnt seem to be that big of a problem..

BUT, my computer keeps failing to start up..and often times cannot wake up out of a sleep. after trying to restart it many times, it will end up going to the start-up repair screen, and running that seems to work. This makes me think that its a software issue, but when it doesn't start up, the drive makes this noise as though its trying to work and fails. a "click..click..click…::winding down noise::" - it will do that for a minute or so, and then give up. This makes me think its a hardware issue…

so, I have no idea whats wrong with the drive, just that it fails to start up, makes a weird clicking/knocking noise when its trying, eventually gets to a repair screen…and then finally works, but HD tune gives me that warning message..

any idea's? should i just replace the drive? reformat it? is the system damaged? is the drive damaged? will it just die on me someday?
It says the drive passed, so I'm guessing its a system thing then? also, I was curious how I would know if I should get a hard drive that's SATA 3.0Gb/s 32mb cache or SATA 6.0Gb/s 64mb? is it based on my motherboard? i have a ASUS: IPIBL-LA motherboard
If buying new drives, and there's a chance you will carry them over to a newer system in the next couple years that does support SATA 6, it makes sense to me to pay a little extra now. SATA 6 is backwards compatible so it will work if your current board is SATA 3 or older. As for your specific board, your user guide will say what it supports, or go to the PC maker's website and check the specifications.

I was curious how I would know if I should get a hard drive that's SATA 3.0Gb/s 32mb cache or SATA 6.0Gb/s 64mb?

You can use either. Personally I'd buy a Sata 2 (cheap) and put the cost saving elsewhere. Like into my next video card upgrade or even a future SSD flash hard drive. For all intents and purposes, the only difference you will notice between a Sata 2, 3 or 6 HDD is the cost difference (the connection cables are identical …all SATA). It's your call though.

As of 2009, SATA 6Gb/s is the newest generation architecture for platter-based hard drives. The "6Gb/s" refers to the data transfer rate of 6 gigabits per second, twice the speed of the previous generation SATA. The Serial ATA International Organization (SATA-IO) that designs SATA standards has requested that this third-generation SATA be referred to as SATA 6Gb/s to avoid adding potential confusion to SATA nomenclature already bumbled by confusing second-generation names.


http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-sata-6gbs.htm

You might benefit with a Sata 6 HDD if you have the new USB3 as it has a potentially faster transfer rate (double) than of USB2 .But even with USB 3, the tranfer rate will only benefit if what you plug into it is USB 3 capable.
Don't confuse "transfer rate" with HDD speed though. All 7200RPM Hard drives have the same top speed of 7200RPM regardless whether it is Sata 1, 2, 3 or 6.

Cheers,
Lee

PS EDIT: Gee Dig, your a fast typer mate. I never saw your post until I pressed 'submit post'. :lol:

You might benefit with a Sata 6 HDD if you have the new USB3 as it has a potentially faster transfer rate (double) than of USB2

Sorry but USB and SATA are two totally different and separate I/O interfaces. They have nothing to do with each other. You can connect an external USB drive enclosure that houses SATA drives, or use an adapter from USB to SATA, but when discussing motherboard support for SATA, USB versions and/or speeds are immaterial and of no importance.

PS EDIT: Gee Dig, your a fast typer mate. I never saw your post until I pressed 'submit post'.

Well, it was 20+ minutes earlier so not sure typing speed was a factor. But that is why I try to remember to his preview first and check for new replies.

Sorry but USB and SATA are two totally different and separate I/O interfaces. They have nothing to do with each other. You can connect an external USB drive enclosure that houses SATA drives, or use an adapter from USB to SATA, but when discussing motherboard support for SATA, USB versions and/or speeds are immaterial and of no importance.

I think you misunderstood what I was talking about regarding USB3/SATA6 Digerati. I guess I should have used the below quote to make it clearer.

SATA 6Gb/s is coming just in time to pair up nicely with USB 3.0, a newer USB standard. USB 3.0 supports a maximum theoretical speed of 600 MB/s, matching perfectly with the newest generation SATA. While USB 3.0 might not realize its maximum throughout in the real world, you can’t help but imagine all the time you’ll save with an external drive enclosure that supports USB 3.0, and two or more SATA 6Gb/s drives to speed through those disk-clone backups.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-sata-6gbs.htm

Cheers,
Lee
Okay. That makes sense. They are two new and significant upgrades to hardware standards that are emerging into and evolving the motherboard market at the same time. But it is a coincidence they are happening at the same time. It was not planned. It makes it nice for new motherboard buyers consumers; two new upgrades on the same new board. That new quote does not suggest, "You might benefit with a Sata 6 HDD if you have the new USB3 " - and that was my issue. Thanks.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI