This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Blue Screen - UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I have a dell laptop with Windows XP installed as the OS from the manufacturer (Dell). I did not receive any error messages before until one day I decided to turn on my laptop. It would go to the Windows XP loading screen, but the it would show the Blue Screen (of death…). The error message says: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME and the Technical information says: STOP: 0x000000ED (0x8231E958, 0xC000009C, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) Sometimes the first hex code within the parentheses would be changed into 0x823A9030 but it's mainly the number shown above. I've already tried to restart it in the last known good configuration and all the safe mode options with no luck. I've also already tried PC Restore to try to restore the computer to its original state from the factory. It said restore failed and that I should contact customer support. My warranty has already expired and I really need to try and get my laptop working asap before the fall semester starts. Any help with this is VERY VERY much appreciated!!
Unfortunately, I did look through the Microsoft site already and it did not help. Windows will not startup at all no matter what I do. I do not have the Windows XP startup CD or disc, so I'm not quite sure if I would be able to run it. I have tried running other CDs which did nothing. Thank you though for your tips.
Please go here to download the recovery console.
Then go here to read how to burn an ISO.
Running the chkdsk /r command should fix your problem for now however when you start having problems with your hard drive you should back up your data as the drive will fail.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI