This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Closed] Need HELP! Antivirus XP 2008 is destroying my PC by

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

This started a few days ago, I tried uninstalling this from Add/Remove in the control panel but never disappears. The backround pic is blue and has a warning indicating my computer is infected. The popups alone are driving me crazy. IE is rerouting me, Firefox is shutting down (sometimes). I am loosing certain functions. I just installed McAfee again yesterday and now I have a popup stating I need to reinstall it and its not updating. I tried to run HijackThis and I have an error message stating "Invalid picture". I'm at 0 memory and I don't know what else to delete. It's getting increasingly worse. Please help!!! I would greatly appreciate it!!!
_________________________________
Welcome to the Forums.

The fixes we will use are specific to your problems and should only be used for this issue on this machine.

Please only use this topic to reply to. Do not start another thread.
If any other issues arise let me know.
The process is not instant. Please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine is clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear. So lets do this to the end!

  • Save and quit any work your doing before beginning the fix.
  • All hijackthis logs I ask for should be done in normal mode ( not safe mode)
  • These logs should be done last after you have followed my instructions in the previous post.


Please if you decide to seek help at another forum let us know. There is a shortage of helpers and tying 2 of us up is a waste of time.
If you have any questions about any advice given here please STOP and ask!

Hopefully we can salvage this machine and avoid a reformat! But keep in mind it may be an option to consider

_____________

NOTE: If you need to you can download this on a good machine and transfer / run it from a flash / thumb drive.
DO NOT run this tool randomly on other machines!


Download ComboFix
  • Download this file from one of the three below listed places :
    For information regarding this download, please visit this webpage:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

    Link1
    Link2
    Link3

    2. Click start/run and copy and Paste this in exactly using the picture below for reference:

    "%userprofile%\desktop\combofix.exe" /killall


    [external image: Posted Image]

    3. Combo will begin to run DO NOTHING while this is happeneing.
    • It will kill a few processes and disconnect you from the internet.
    • If by chance it stops prematurly you can re-establish your internet connection by restarting your computer.
    • This needs to be done so the program can work most efficiently for you.
    Do not attempt to use the internet or anything else while it's doing its job for you.

    If when it's completed you can not get on the internet just reboot the computer

    Post the log from comboFix for me located in
    c:\comboFix.txt



    _________________________
    In your next reply I would like to see:
    • A new HJT log
    • The report from ComboFix

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI