This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Trouble Mirroring my hard drive

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I recently bought a new Western Digital hard drive (250 GB). I currently have a WD (160 GB) hard drive in my computer and I would like to use Norton Ghost 2003 to mirror an image of my current hard drive onto my new one so that I can begin using the new one as my main drive. Unfortunately I have not been able to get Norton to recognize the external hard drive (which is in an enclosure attached by USB). I have formatted the new drive and it is recognized when I am logged into windows and I beleive my BIOS is showing that it is seeing it as well. I have tried switching the hard drives (so the new one is in my computer and the old one is in the enclosure) and Ghost then recognizes the new one and not the old one. If anyone has any ideas on what I could do to make Norton Ghost recognize this drive so I can mirror it please let me know.
No I haven't tried that… To be honest I am not real computer savvy so I am not sure what exactly you mean by that. How do I do that? Thanks for the suggestion…
I should have been more specific but this drive is for a laptop and it is a 2.5 inch PATA drive. It appears that the link mentioned above is only for 3.5 inch drives. I dont see anything like a "jumper" on my hard drive.
Greetings All You know my first thought is that once the clone operation is set up using Ghost, the computer wants to do a reboot and perform the actual clone in a pre windows or DOS mode. I would verfiy in the bios that I enabled something called legacy usb support. While you are there check to see if the USB device is recognized/enumerated in the availible drives. I would also check in adminstrative tools/disk management while in windows to see if all of the attached drives have a drive letter. Perhaps the USB drive is not initialized? Good luck Kaz
Greetings all, There seems to be all sorts of issues related to using a Ghost 2003 with vista. Mixed bag of some success on Google searches. Mostly revolves around NTFS vs FAT32 formatting, USB drivers and all out incompatability with Ghost 2003. Symantec does have NEW version that are compatible, may be the answer in the end. Get up to date applications and stop trying to do work arounds with old software. Regards Kaz.

Get up to date applications and stop trying to do work arounds with old software.

Please forgive Kazzoo's rudeness.
I have used ghost 2003 with Vista to clone a hard drive.
Ghost 2007 will not work with Vista at all.
I have heard that ghost 2008 works with Vista but I have not tried it.
The advice about enabling legacy devices in bios is valid. I did not know that you where using a 2.5 drive.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI