This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Invalid media type reading drive c - Help

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am running Win98 384mb ram 30 gb Western digital HD

I had booted my Computer after installing a program and Norton came up with the dialoague that master boot records has been changed do you want to Repair, Innoculate, Continue.
Without thinking, I choose Repair. I think I made a big mistake.
I think it was the next time I booted it gave me and invalid system disk error (attempting to boot from the floppy). I have since booted with the Win98 startup disk and When I go to C: and attempt to access it by a dir command it gives me the message "Invalid media type reading drive c".
THe drive does not appear to exist there when I go into setup and look at the boot sequence. What can I do???
I ran Hard drive regenerator and it shows no damage…but I cannot see any files when I used a disk checker utility.
Do you think it was erased by Norton? It only took like a few second when I chose repair. Any advice would be greatly apprecited. I have pictures I made just a month ago that I desperately want to recover. I know I should have backed up and you can bet I will next time. Is there any hope???
Yes, theres hope. Depending upon how bad you want/need the info though, you may have to purchase some software. But lets start here and see where we get. Boot up with startup floppy. At the C: prompt type FIXBOOT /MBR (its been awhile since I have been on 98.. if that does nothing then just type FIXBOOT). If you have no luck there, then type HELP at the prompt or /help and it will list the commands. Check out all the "boot" commands, you can find bootable partitions I just cant remember the command right off the top of my head. If, however, you have it search for bootable partitions and it doesnt list any, then you may have to purchase some software. I recommed Spinrite, or Acronis, but post back and let us know how your comming along.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI