This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Phishing emails

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Ok not a major problem as they go to my junk folder (outlook UK) But recently I am getting about 20 a day which I never got before. They appear to be generally sent between 9.00 and 17.00 hours each day. I am not using any new websites just my normal as have done for a few years. One exception to all this is I did use my email when over in America for 2 weeks. I have tried reporting phishing and blocking to no avail, also I never open them. Is there any way to solve or reduce these emails?
I never open them.

Good. Don't.

Is there any way to solve or reduce these emails?

Just wait.

 

Coming across the pond over here and using your email would not do this. Giving your email address to some site or company probably did - and that could have happened no matter where you were.

 

The best solution is to just wait and eventually the spammer will get blacklisted and these will die down. Your email address is out there now, so it is likely you will never stop getting spam. That just seems to be a fact of life these days. Just keep your OS and security updated, and stay vigilant about not being "click-happy" on those unsolicited emails, attachments, downloads and popups.

Thanks for your reply. I didn't think there would be any quick fix but no harm in asking. At least all goes to my junk mail so doesn't interfere with normal emails. Thanks again.

Yeah, unfortunately, our emails addresses are out there. We either given them away, or companies we give them to get hacked. Or one of our contacts gets hacked and the bad guys get our email addresses from them. So even if you changed to a different address, chances are it will come up on some spammer's list soon. And if we reply (or click to unsubscribe), that just tells the bad guys the email address is legitimate and we start getting even more spam.

I have noticed of late that some retail outlets in the uk when you purchase something they ask if you want them to send your receipt to your email address…..I don't think so! When they insist on a postcode we always give 10 Downing street. (Prime ministers address) If government cant sort out these companies then they can take my marketing emails :-)

Yeah, they do the same here. I don't mind zip codes (postcodes) but I agree, they don't need my email address, or worse, my phone number.

 

I do have a few of those savings cards from merchants I visit often as they will then frequently provide discounts for items I frequently purchase. But I use a different email address for those that I can sort on more easily. I also have email rules for my contacts.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI