This is twice now in approx 2 months.
On booting my system, I get an error message that` says missing or corrupt Windows\system32\config\system
I run AVG free anti virus.
I scan and update every day.
No virus indicated.
In both cases it occurred after I had noticed a system slow down and ran a 'windiws live' scan that included cleaning up the registry, defragging etc.
The windows live scan did not indicate a virus in either case.
I cannot guarantee it was on the next reboot, but soewhere in 'close proximity' to the reboot, the crash occurred.
Is this the result of a virus or am I experiencing another problem?
There was no indication that AVG was 'turned off' and left off.
I run Windows 98 SE updated to Windows XP home edetion. All service packs and updates current.
Obviously I cannot give you a hijackthis printout.
thanks,
skip
Hello,
First, I am not a mal-ware expert and will not try to give you advice on hijackthis.
Now, you are using AVG, and windows live.
You will have problems if you use more than one anti-virus program, and more than one resident shield.
You will need to remove all but one. you can have more than one anti-spyware program, but you may want to check with a mal-ware expert..
Do you have an original Windows disk that has the recovery console?
Your past mal-ware issues may have corrupted some system files.
If so, place it in your optical drive and follow the instructions below:
Click on START–>RUN and type sfc /scannow (note the space) (Let this run undisturbed until the window with the blue progress bar goes away)
SFC- Which stands for System File Checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.
If you want to see what was replaced, right-click My Computer and click on Manage. In the new window that appears, expand the Event Viewer (by clicking on the + symbol next to it) and then click on System.