This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

TROJ_Generic.ADV infection

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

NOTE: I originally posted a request in another forum, but have since requested for that original post to be deleted. The other forum seems extremely bogged down with HJT requests (many threads over a week old are still unanswered) and I thought I might find more help here.

For the past five days I've had a really bad infection on my computer, and everything I've tried has failed to get rid of it. I'm really getting desperate as I have my final university dissertation to work on and this virus is really hindering me from writing it!! Can anyone here help me out please?

To make it short and sweet, here are the details in point form:
- I'm running Windows Vista 32-bit Home Premium
- Currently using Trend Micro Internet Security 2008. No other antivirus software in use as far as I'm aware.
- Trend Micro scans identify multiple files infected with Troj_Generic.adv
- Trend Micro keep telling me it's blocked rundll32.exe in my Windows/system32 folder because of Troj_Generic.adv

What I've tried:
- Updating my Trend Micro and running a full system scan. This removes some infected files, but leaves others.
- Running the Trend Micro antivirus scan in Windows safe mode. Removes infected files that the above scan couldn't, but on restarting my computer I still get warnings about TROJ_Generic.ADV
- Using System Restore to a date when I know my computer was fine. Still hasn't helped. The virus is still there.

My HijackThis log is shown below, together with my virus scan report from Trend Micro (both logs from today).

HijackThis Log

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 7:04:18 PM, on 15/07/2008
Platform: Windows Vista SP1 (WinNT 6.00.1905)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6001.18000)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Program Files\Palm\Hotsync.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\UfSeAgnt.exe
C:\Program Files\DellTPad\Apoint.exe
C:\Windows\OEM02Mon.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\DELL\MediaDirect\PCMService.exe
C:\Program Files\DellTPad\ApMsgFwd.exe
C:\Program Files\DellTPad\Apntex.exe
C:\Windows\WindowsMobile\wmdSync.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe
C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\SigmaTel\C-Major Audio\WDM\sttray.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe
C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\BTTray.exe
C:\Windows\ehome\ehmsas.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
C:\Program Files\DELL\QuickSet\quickset.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe
C:\Program Files\ZTE Mobile Connection\Datacard.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\TrendSecure\TSCFCommander.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\TrendSecure\TSCFPlatformCOMSvr.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\TrendSecure\TransactionProtector\Dependent\HSChkProxyExe.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\TrendSecure\TSCFPlatformCOMSvr.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\UfNavi.exe
C:\Windows\System32\mobsync.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\UfNavi.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\UfLogUi.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEUser.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\UfLogUi.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.gmail.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Internet Explorer provided by Dell
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Skype add-on (mastermind) - {22BF413B-C6D2-4d91-82A9-A0F997BA588C} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\SkypeIEPlugin.dll
O2 - BHO: Groove GFS Browser Helper - {72853161-30C5-4D22-B7F9-0BBC1D38A37E} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveShellExtensions.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: TransactionProtector BHO - {C1656CCA-D2EA-4A32-94AE-AE0B180E6449} - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\TrendSecure\TransactionProtector\TSToolbar.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Transaction Protector - {E7620C98-FCCC-40E5-92EC-C7685D2E1E40} - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\TrendSecure\TransactionProtector\TSToolbar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\DellTPad\Apoint.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OEM02Mon.exe] C:\Windows\OEM02Mon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxWatchTray] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxWatchTray9.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\MediaDirect\PCMService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dscactivate] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\gs_agent\custom\dsca.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotSync] "C:\Program Files\PalmSource\Desktop\HotSync.exe" -AllUsers
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Mobile-based device management] %windir%\WindowsMobile\wmdSync.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GrooveMonitor] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvSvc] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\nvsvc.dll,nvsvcStart
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NVHotkey] rundll32.exe C:\Windows\system32\nvHotkey.dll,Start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DellSupportCenter] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtcmd.exe" /P DellSupportCenter
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UfSeAgnt.exe] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\UfSeAgnt.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SigmatelSysTrayApp] %ProgramFiles%\SigmaTel\C-Major Audio\WDM\sttray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellSupportCenter] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtcmd.exe" /P DellSupportCenter
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ehTray.exe] C:\Windows\ehome\ehTray.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - Startup: OneNote 2007 Screen Clipper and Launcher.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\ONENOTEM.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Bluetooth.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
O4 - Global Startup: QuickSet.lnk = C:\Program Files\DELL\QuickSet\quickset.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Send image to &Bluetooth Device… - c:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie_ctx.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Send page to &Bluetooth Device… - c:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: Skype - {77BF5300-1474-4EC7-9980-D32B190E9B07} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\SkypeIEPlugin.dll
O9 - Extra button: @btrez.dll,-4015 - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - c:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @btrez.dll,-12650 - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - c:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O13 - Gopher Prefix:
O16 - DPF: {5C6698D9-7BE4-4122-8EC5-291D84DBD4A0} (Facebook Photo Uploader 4 Control) - http://upload.facebook.com/controls/Facebo…toUploader3.cab
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/flas…ent/swflash.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{D97C99B6-47C1-4208-BBD3-DA41213A7E4C}: NameServer = 4.2.2.3 4.2.2.4
O18 - Protocol: grooveLocalGWS - {88FED34C-F0CA-4636-A375-3CB6248B04CD} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveSystemServices.dll
O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
O23 - Service: Andrea ST Filters Service (AESTFilters) - Andrea Electronics Corporation - C:\Windows\system32\aestsrv.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® PROSet/Wireless Event Log (EvtEng) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® PROSet/Wireless Registry Service (RegSrvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: RoxMediaDB9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxMediaDB9.exe
O23 - Service: Roxio Hard Drive Watcher 9 (RoxWatch9) - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxWatch9.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Central Control Component (SfCtlCom) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\SfCtlCom.exe
O23 - Service: SupportSoft Sprocket Service (dellsupportcenter) (sprtsvc_dellsupportcenter) - SupportSoft, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SigmaTel Audio Service (STacSV) - IDT, Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\STacSV.exe
O23 - Service: stllssvr - MicroVision Development, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\SureThing Shared\stllssvr.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Unauthorized Change Prevention Service (TMBMServer) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\BM\TMBMSRV.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Personal Firewall (TmPfw) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\TmPfw.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Proxy Service (tmproxy) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\TmProxy.exe
O23 - Service: XAudioService - Conexant Systems, Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\xaudio.exe

–
End of file - 11117 bytes


Trend Micro Virus Report

Virus Scan Logs Jul 15, 2008
Time Detected by Source Type Threat Name Infected File First Action
13:52 File Monitor File TROJ_Generic.ADV C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe Ignored Success
13:53 File Monitor File TROJ_Generic.ADV C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe Ignored Success
14:07 File Monitor File TROJ_Generic.ADV C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe Ignored Success
14:50 File Monitor File TROJ_Generic.ADV C:\Windows\system32\Rundll32.exe Ignored Success
15:19 Manual Scan File TROJ_Generic.ADV C:\Users\Beej\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\G2835B2Y\httpErrorPagesScripts[1] Ignored Success
15:26 File Monitor File Possible_Troj526 C:\Users\Beej\AppData\Roaming\U3\0001DA705203388C\Temporary\tmp0\updater.exe Cleaned Fail
15:46 Manual Scan File TROJ_Generic.ADV C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\apfiltr.inf_79d7b80f\hidfind.exe Ignored Success
15:46 Manual Scan File TROJ_Generic.ADV C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\apfiltr.inf_7b16accd\hidfind.exe Ignored Success
15:52 Manual Scan File TROJ_Generic.ADV C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe Ignored Success
15:55 File Monitor File TROJ_Generic.ADV C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe Ignored Success
16:02 Manual Scan File TROJ_Generic.ADV C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-directx-direct3d8_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16386_none_c015aa5f63dc0bce\d3d8.dll Ignored Success
16:06 Manual Scan File TROJ_Generic.ADV C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-nlasvc_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16386_none_654f33cb0dff3491\nlasvc.dll Ignored Success
16:07 Manual Scan File TROJ_Generic.ADV C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-rundll32_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16386_none_d5ce8f93adff8210\rundll32.exe Ignored Success
16:09 Manual Scan File TROJ_Generic.ADV C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-wininit_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16386_none_2ebbf6d3076595ce\wininit.exe Ignored Success
16:57 File Monitor File TROJ_Generic.ADV C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe Ignored Success
18:47 File Monitor File TROJ_Generic.ADV C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe Ignored Success
19:03 File Monitor File TROJ_Generic.ADV C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe Ignored Success

I think I may have solved my own problem. For the benefit of anyone else who may experience the same problem as me, here's what I've found:

I searched the web some more and discovered this site: http://www.virustotal.com. I tried submitting my "infected" files to the site and they all came back clean, which really surprised me.

I then started looking into the error message that kept popping up when I restarted my computer. They said that sprtcmd.exe couldn't run because LIBEAY32.dll was missing. Well, it turns out both files are used in the Dell Support Center, so I tried uninstalling the program and reinstalling it from the Dell Website.

The missing LIBEAY32.dll was then restored, and the error messages stopped coming. However, Trend Micro told me that the TROJ_Generic.ADV had popped back up again, and that the LIBEAY32.dll file was infected! I had www.virustotal.com scan the file and again, it said it was clean.

I'm guessing this is all a false positive result from Trend Micro's scanner. I am using the "beta" scan engine for my Trend Micro Internet Security Suite 2008, and on closer inspection the emails from Trend Micro said that false positives are more likely to occur with this beta engine, especially for viruses with the words "POSSIBLE_", "SUSPICIOUS_FILE" or "_GENERIC" in them. That last one totally fits the bill for my problem.

Anyway, I'm in touch with Trend Micro and I'll get them to verify whether I'm correct on this or not.
Just thought I should follow up on this post. I contacted Trend Micro and once I submitted the file they never got back to me. In the end I got fed up with getting these false positives, so I deleted Trend Micro and bought a new antivirus (NOD32 for anyone who's interested). Don't think I'm gonna go back to Trend Micro again, given the false positive readings and lack of support.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI