This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

svchost How many is enough?

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a question about how many svchost.exe NEEDS to be running on a pc at any one time? Currently I have six running, and I have observed many times a similar amount of copies running. What is a GOOD number to be running at one time. Is there a problem with the system to run that many at once? I noticed that many have multiple copies in HiJack logs and was just curious?
I have seen 6 before, but not that often. 4 - 5 is more typical. I don't recall seeing less than 4, or more than 6, except with a badly infested machine. :( My XP Pro SP3 has 4 svchost.exe images running, the wife's XP Home SP3 has 5.

So to me, 6 would make me wonder what's going on - and cause me to ensure my security defenses had not been bypassed, or my computer or personal information compromised. Have you done a complete malware scan? And tell us more about your computer, version of Windows, security setup (AV, firewall, etc. you are using), and details any symptoms or performance issues.

Because we know nothing of your system or actual (if any) problem, and, well, because it can't hurt ;) I recommend you run a supplemental scan with Malwarebytes's Anti-Malware (MBAM). Make sure you check for updates to get the most recent signature/definition files before you start the scan. I also recommend running "Disk Cleanup" on each drive first - no need to scan 1000s of temporary files.

That said, the below are all enhanced Task Manager type programs that will show you what is running on your computer. Each is nice in its own way. What's Running is probably the easiest, with AutoRuns for the more experienced, and Process Explorer the most popular. With these, for example, you can see what processes are using each of those various svchost.exe images.

AutoRuns for Windows
Process Explorer
What's Running

Liutilities Process Library, or Google, are good places to research processes found that you cannot identify.
Yes, did all those last week trying to remove a Win32.. that ZonePro kept finding and quartining. I guess 6 is not a bad number then although I'm not even sure what the program does.
I seem to have a similar problem, I have 6 svchost.exe and there seems to be one in the user name under NETWORK SERVICE that seems to use 100 CPU qhen I studied the behavior in windows task manager, I scan multiple times with mabm, superantispyware, SBS&D and find nothing even tho my laptop was infected 5 days ago, also sorry if I'm not supposed to write upon this thread cause its not mine.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI