This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Problems with Windows Vista

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hallo there, my name is Yabe and I have this problem: I have a Fujitsu Siemens Notebook with Vista installed, and since a few weeks have not been able to use it as all I get its a blackened desktop. Well it started when I was opening a secure paysite form my Bank and all of a sudden everything went black and its stayed this way spit my efforts to repair the problem. Well I have a tried the repair software form Vista but it doesn`t work and now have decided to install it once again and here its my real question: I would like to be able to access my files as I did not backup anything and there are some files that I need. So I was thinking that if I could install Vista into another file or perhaps another partition so I would still be able to access those files and so be able to backup them up. Its something I used to do with XP when it got to corrupted or I had some problem, I reinstalled it into another file "system1" or into another partition and this way I could save the files I needed/wanted. So I tried to install Vista using the repair disk from the Notebook and when Vista asks where to install I am not sure how to do it. Can someone give some advice as to how to proceed. Thanks
Hello,
This is the same for Vista as XP
Parallel Installation of Windows XP

Boot to the Windows XP installation cd by pressing a key when the "Press any key to boot from cd" prompt appears at the top of the screen.
  • At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press Enter to set up Windows XP.
  • Accept the License Agreement by pressing F8
  • With your current installation selected in the box, press Esc
  • Select C: Partition1 [NTFS] in the box and press Enter
  • To continue setup using this partition, press C
  • Now you should see formatting options…choose the last one, Leave the current file system intact (no changes), and press Enter
  • To use a different folder, press Esc
  • Name the folder WINDOWS0 (just type a 0 (zero)) and press Enter
The Windows installation should begin. This will install Windows to a new folder, leaving your data intact. Any programs installed on the old directory will have to be reinstalled to the new one. Device drivers will also have to be installed for all the hardware to work as it should.

The data will be located in the Documents and Settings folder (C:\Documents and Settings) under your old user account name…so when you set up the new installation, give yourself a slightly different user account name.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI