This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Internet Explorer won't run

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I'm helping out a friend by cleaning up his computer - it was overrun by various spyware, adware, trojans, etc. As a result, Internet Explorer wouldn't run. I believe I've got most of the malware, but even after I reinstall Internet Explorer and get it working, it gets infected/corrupted/something a few reboots later and won't run again. Plus, perhaps due to the same source, I'm getting popup ads every now and then while using Firefox. The only entry that looks suspicious to me is "O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [winsync] C:\WINDOWS\system32\lxdsd4.exe reg_run", which I've deleted numerous times but reappears after every reboot. I have no idea what could be downloading/generating/etc it (timestamp changes when I reboot). Anyway, below is the log; I hope someone can help my friend and I. Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 11:15:56 PM, on 9/23/2005 Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180) Running processes: C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\SHSTAT.EXE C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\UpdaterUI.exe C:\Program Files\Common Files\Network Associates\TalkBack\TBMon.exe C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedhlp.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\RunDll32.exe C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\aoltray.exe C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedul2.exe C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\FrameworkService.exe C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\Mcshield.exe C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\VsTskMgr.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\pctspk.exe C:\Program Files\AOL COMPANION\COMPANION.EXE C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe C:\Program Files\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe O2 - BHO: Acronis Popup Blocker - {E24AD748-155E-4254-B674-4EDF86E7E1DF} - C:\PROGRA~1\Acronis\PRIVAC~1\POP-UP~1.DLL O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ShStatEXE] "C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\SHSTAT.EXE" /STANDALONE O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McAfeeUpdaterUI] "C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\UpdaterUI.exe" /StartedFromRunKey O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Network Associates Error Reporting Service] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Network Associates\TalkBack\TBMon.exe" O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Acronis Scheduler2 Service] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedhlp.exe O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Acronis Popup Blocker] RunDll32.exe C:\PROGRA~1\Acronis\PRIVAC~1\POP-UP~1.DLL,Run O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [winsync] C:\WINDOWS\system32\lxdsd4.exe reg_run O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe O4 - Global Startup: America Online 9.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\aoltray.exe O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000 O9 - Extra button: Acronis Pop-up Blocker - {2E071ADC-ADF8-4b4b-8ACB-EDC49E6D45A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\Acronis\PRIVAC~1\POP-UP~1.DLL O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Acronis Pop-up Blocker - {2E071ADC-ADF8-4b4b-8ACB-EDC49E6D45A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\Acronis\PRIVAC~1\POP-UP~1.DLL O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll O23 - Service: Acronis Scheduler2 Service (AcrSch2Svc) - Acronis - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedul2.exe O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe O23 - Service: McAfee Framework Service (McAfeeFramework) - Network Associates, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\FrameworkService.exe O23 - Service: Network Associates McShield (McShield) - Network Associates, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\Mcshield.exe O23 - Service: Network Associates Task Manager (McTaskManager) - Network Associates, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\VsTskMgr.exe O23 - Service: PCTEL Speaker Phone (Pctspk) - PCtel, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\pctspk.exe O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service (WANMiniportService) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
Alright, I cleaned up my friend's computer finally with help from didom over at the SWI Forums. So I won't be needing help from you guys, but thanks for providing a help resource like this anyway.
Glad we could be of assistance. This topic is now closed. If you wish it reopened, please send us an email (Click for address) with a link to your thread.

Do not bother contacting us if you are not the topic starter. A valid, working link to the closed topic is required along with the user name used. If the user name does not match the one in the thread linked, the email will be deleted.
Make sure you use proper prevention to keep from having problems occur to your computer in the future.

Coyote's Installed programs for prevention:

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=31418

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Visit the CoyoteStore http://TomCoyote.org/coyotestore.php

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI