This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

AVG

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I'm having an issue regarding the latest Free AVG program. I've used this for over a year now, which is something your site recommended and I've found very helpful in keeping my computers running smoothly. I updated to the AVG 8.0 on our main computer and now I'm trying to do so on my son's computer however, when doing so I come across an error which reads something like this… "Set up has detected ewido anti-virus/anit-spyware on your computer. However, prior to updating the new version I was sure to uninstall any older versions and I do not see anything listed there that says "ewido" or "AVG" in my programs but maybe I'm missing something. Also, thanks to LDTate for helping me locate the proper thread to post this in.
Hi, AVG 8 has detected that your have either Ewido or AVG anti Spyware installed on your machine at some time in the past. As AVG 8 includes these protections it needs you to remove the older versions before it will allow you to install AVG8. 1 Have a look in the notification area and see if there is an Icon for any of these products (you may need to show hidden icons…if so stop them by right clicking and selecting exit.) 2 Next go to Control panel> Add and Remove Programs, and check carefully each entry and uninstall all items that refer to Ewido and or AVG or AVG antispyware. 3 Next ,close down and then restart your machine. 4 Now try to install AVG8 and see how you go….you will need to be signed on with an Administrator status account. Regards paws

Hi,
AVG 8 has detected that your have either Ewido or AVG anti Spyware installed on your machine at some time in the past.
As AVG 8 includes these protections it needs you to remove the older versions before it will allow you to install AVG8.

1 Have a look in the notification area and see if there is an Icon for any of these products (you may need to show hidden icons…if so stop them by right clicking and selecting exit.)
2 Next go to Control panel> Add and Remove Programs, and check carefully each entry and uninstall all items that refer to Ewido and or AVG or AVG antispyware.
3 Next ,close down and then restart your machine.
4 Now try to install AVG8 and see how you go….you will need to be signed on with an Administrator status account.
Regards
paws


Hello Paws!

We'll, I've done everything you mentioned and was not able to locate anything that is AVG or ewido…. it's really got me puzzled. I even tried to install AVG8 again and it still says that there is a conflict yet I don't see one so it still will not let me install it.

If you have any other suggestions please let me know as I don't want my son's computer to be without protection.

Also, is there a way that AVG or ewido could possibly be in a hidden folder because when I did a search on my computer it told me that it didn't check hidden files/folders… although I've never intentionally put anything in a hidden file… but could this be the issue?

Any help on this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jodi

Thanks again for your assistance.
However, I am still having an issue with the AVG8 installation.
Perhaps you could give me another suggestion as I still do not know what to do.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I would either go to Grisoft's forums and ask for help or uninstall it and try a different free one:

Avira AntiVir Personal - FREE Antivirus
http://www.free-av.com/en/download/1/downl…_antivirus.html

avast! 4
http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

Thanks again for your assistance.
However, I am still having an issue with the AVG8 installation.
Perhaps you could give me another suggestion as I still do not know what to do.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I would either go to Grisoft's forums and ask for help or uninstall it and try a different free one:

Avira AntiVir Personal - FREE Antivirus
http://www.free-av.com/en/download/1/downl…_antivirus.html

avast! 4
http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

Thank you very much. I will give them a try. :)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI