Cannot open folders in Start Menu by doubleclicking or rightclick->
5 min read
Did you mean to say, "before" you installed SP3?(this problem has happened even I have installed SP3).
It sounds like you have the necessary tools to keep a computer safe, the issue then becomes are all users of that computer disciplined at practicing safe computing? That is, are all downloads and attachments scanned before opening? Is spam eliminated before opening? Are sites where badguys are known to wallow in (porn, gambling, P2P sites that tolerate illegal filesharing of copyrighted materials) avoided? Certainly SUPERAntiSpyware and Avira AV are able products (I use SAS, but with AVG Pro), but I recommend running a supplemental scan with Malwarebytes's Anti-Malware (MBAM) just to be sure. I would purge the system of crud and clutter first. This often significantly reduces scanning times and may clear out files that are corrupt or are infected with malware. Deleting cookies as well ensures all "tracking cookies" are removed too. Note that deleting cookies will force the manual entry of user names and passwords for sites requiring them on your next visit, so make sure you know them.I don't think this is a spyware/malware or virus problem as the PC is regularly scanned with SuperAntiSpyware and Avira Antivir. Resident protections that I have enabled are Avira Antivir and Comodo BOClean.
- ATF Cleaner 3 is a tiny, simple, easy to use, temporary file cleaner for Windows, Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Opera users.
- CCleaner is a popular tool for more advanced users. You can configure CCleaner to leave cookies from the trusted sites you visit often. During installation, uncheck the option to install the Yahoo toolbar. Before first use, check Options > Settings and ensure Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours is unchecked. CCleaner's Issues section is also an excellent Registry cleaner, but as with any Registry cleaner or editing tool, it should only be used with extreme caution by experienced users. I recommend you create a System Restore point, and you should always backup the Registry before making any changes. Be sure to follow CCleaner’s prompts to make the necessary backup.
- To delete temporary and no longer needed files (including old System Restore points) with Windows Disk Cleanup:
- In My Computer, right click on drive, then select Properties > Disk Cleanup,
- When Disk Cleanup calculation is complete, check the desired Files to delete boxes - uncheck Compress old files unless you are very low on disk space (Note: Highlighting each entry will reveal a description of items being deleted),
- Optional - Remove all System Restore points, except the most recent
- Click the More Options Tab,
- Under System Restore, click Clean up… to remove all but the most recent restore points, then follow prompts to complete action,
- Click OK and follow prompts to complete and exit Disk Cleanup.
TIP - Delete all Temporary Internet Files and Cookies before defragmenting your hard drives. It is counterproductive to defrag with 1000s of tiny temporary files on the drives.
I agree it sounds like something corrupt in the Registry, but I think this has to do with Windows Explorer. Are you able to drill down into folders and files on your drives under My Computer?I think that there is something corrupt in the registry where the shell for the context menu or the start menu folders is kept (I am not sure though).
Does it work in Safe Mode? If so, then that would suggest to me a shell extension is causing the problem. You might want to download and install Shell Extension View. When run, it will let you view & disable all shell extensions. Click on the "Company" tab to sort all non-Microsoft extensions together. Disable all the non-Microsoft extensions, then log-off or reboot. If your problem goes away, you know it is a bad extension and through trial and error elimination and selective re-enabling of the extensions, you can narrow it down to the corrupt one. Then visit the site for an update.
Yes, I meant to say even before I have installed SP3. I have edited my previous post to reflect this.Did you mean to say, "before" you installed SP3?(this problem has happened even I have installed SP3).
Yes, I am able to view drives and subdirectories under My Computer.I agree it sounds like something corrupt in the Registry, but I think this has to do with Windows Explorer. Are you able to drill down into folders and files on your drives under My Computer?I think that there is something corrupt in the registry where the shell for the context menu or the start menu folders is kept (I am not sure though).
Does it work in Safe Mode? If so, then that would suggest to me a shell extension is causing the problem. You might want to download and install Shell Extension View. When run, it will let you view & disable all shell extensions. Click on the "Company" tab to sort all non-Microsoft extensions together. Disable all the non-Microsoft extensions, then log-off or reboot. If your problem goes away, you know it is a bad extension and through trial and error elimination and selective re-enabling of the extensions, you can narrow it down to the corrupt one. Then visit the site for an update.
OK, I will try this and will post back here for the details.
And can you navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Start Menu\Programs?Yes, I am able to view drives and subdirectories under My Computer.
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI