This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Boot sequence help, please.

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello: After we cleaned out a gang of virus/spyware, this computer boots up to the wallpaper, but fails to load explorer to enable the Start Menu, taskbar or the desktop icons. All I have to do is call up the Task Manager and put in "explorer" in the New Task box and it loads fine. It's just awkward this way. Can someone who is familiar with the WinXP Media Center SP2 please help? I have the OEM disks, just don't want to mess up a reinstall or something. Jim
Hi Jim, ain't computer fun :pullhair: The first thing I would try is create a new account ands see if the same problem occurs there. If not, then I'll give you a link to information on how to copy data from an old, corrupted account to a new one. Post back with results.
Same problem happens even when there are no accounts. While we were cleaning out the viruses and spyware it was necessary to delete all accounts so that a reboot would not require all those passwords. The wallpaper appears, but no Start Menu, task bar or desktop icons. The only path is to open taskmanager with Ctl-Alt-Del and start Explorer.exe with the New Task option. I created an account thinking that that might call up the load sequence that is required to induce the Deskto. No dice. Something (some instruction) is missing that loads (is supposed to load) explorer to enable the Desktop, but I can't find it. No one on any of the blogs has seen this yet. I know it is not a corrupt account because all the accounts were wiped and I set up a new one once the system was clean. Jim
Jim, you say you cleaned out a lot of malware. Did you do this on your own or were you following expert advice here or on another forum. Are you sure the computer is really clean of all malware? Can you post a link to the thread where you cleaned up your computer?
Here is a link to the work we did to clean up this computer. Unfortunately, I am not near this computer at this time, as it is my grandson's computer in New Jersey. I will be back there in about three weeks. He is happy to have access to his computer and is willing to put up with the bootup glitch. I am not happy that I have not been able to fully restore his machine. I'll do this "long distance" if I must. Click me!"]http://forums.whatthetech.com/Baseline_t92675.html Thank you for any assistance you may be able to give me. Jim
Looked at the malware thread, YOW! Looks like it would have been much easier to backup any important data then reinstall XP. Rorshach112 is amazing. If you boot to Safe mode and login as Administrator, is there a desktop or the same problem?
Same problem. This problem showed up before I recreated a Windows user account. I created the account thinking that the process of seting up the user would also include the instruction to the shell to load explorer.exe. It did not. Jim
Do you have an XP CD? If so, try running sfc /scannow from the Start / Run box. If that doesn't help then I it's time to try a Repair Install.

Even though the Repair Install should leave your data and most installed programs alone, it would be a good idea to backup anything important first. Might even be a good time to invest in a good backup strategy, using and external USB drive and software like Acronis True Image, Norton Ghost or the free DriveImage XML.
Thank you for your reply. I will not be back at that computer until Mid-July. If you don't mind, could we postpone the therapy until I get back to New Jersey? I greatly appreciate your patience. Yes, I have a OEM disk for that computer. Jim

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI