HFCG
Topic Starter
It is easy to forget that the most simple way to trouble shoot a hardware issue is to exchange a known good part.
I was viewing some pictures, and when I tried to close the pictures nothing would work. I could not even open task manager to close the program!
The last thing that I did was run a virus scan, everything worked fine before that.
I could use the keyboard to open task manager, but nothing I clicked on would work (the mouse pointer moved on the screen as I moved it.)
Could the Avira anti-virus have an issue with Vista?
I changed the batterys in the (wireless) mouse, no effect.
My keyboard works fine and is on the same reciever as the mouse.
So I got the wireless mouse from my wifes laptop, and everything worked as it should.
I was able to close the applications that where in use, open new applications, and do what I wanted.
If I had not tried swapping the mice I could have spent days looking for a driver or other software issue that was causing the problem.
Stupid mouse.