This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

A rundll32 problem?

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Okay, I guess Ill start at the begginning. Last Saturday night, my PC went down. It told me "Paged_in_nonpaged_area" whenever I tried to start it. Right when Windows would try and boot up. Eventually, I did a repair install with the XP installation CD that came with my computer. I was able to get back into windows at that point, but now I have a whole bunch of odd problems. First off, all my files and things are intact and can be opened. I can even play various games I have installed. However, in order to run any type of program, I have to tell it to open it with itself. Whenever I click on something, say AOL.exe, it brings up the little menu that comes up when you click "Open with" or try to run a file with an unkown extension. You have to select the same program from the list in order for it to know to open the program with itself. Also, almost EVERYTHING on my start menu is gone. Control Panel, My Computer, Run, Log Off, as well as all the various program entries. All thats there are my most recently used programs. In order to view my files, I have to open a folder on my desktop, and use the address bar. When I find My Computer that way, my C drive isnt there. All my other drives are listed though. In order to get to my C drive, I actually have to enter "C:\" in the address bar. However, all the programs and files on C seem to be working. What else…. My clock has set itself to military time, and after it is the phrase "VIRUS ALERT!" But after numerous scans, I have nothing. When I click on adjust time and date, I get an error message: Control Panel C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe Application not found. Now, Ive checked that folder, and rundll32.exe IS there, as well as another rundll32 thats not an .exe Ive gotten that message in a few other places, and its what I thought may be responsible for all this mess. Internet Explorer won't open for me. Whenever I click on it, it automattically makes a new shortcut to it. Other programs that try and open it for me, get 2 windows open that flicker and freeze up. Last but not least, EVERY graphical item on AOL, like the various buttons on this forum such as "New Topic" the emoticons, or what have you, show up as blank boxes. I have to individually click on each one and select "show picture" I THINK thats about everything. Oh yes, its a Dell XPS 710, not even a year old yet.
This just in… I managed to log into the "Administrator" profile on XP by booting in Safe Mode with Networking. I can access my C drive normally as well as everything else under my start menu, and I don't have to open every individual image I see in my browser manually. I still get the rundll32 error messages and have to use the "open with" menu to run programs. Also, even under safe mode, the other XP profiles have ALL the problems mentioned in the above post. I can REALLY use an expert here. In all my years of dealing with PCs (all my life) Ive never had a computer THIS messed up.
Looks like you're not getting much help with this one. I'm fresh off of vacation so I'll see if I can help. The first thing to try is to create a new account (userid) and see if the problem occurs there as well. Post back and let me know the results. If things work correctly then I can give you a link to information on how to copy everything over from an old, corrupted account to a new one. Open COntrol Panel and click on User Accounts to do this.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI