This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

BIOS Can't Get Past Autodetect

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have Windows XP Home Edition installed on my Primary Master EIDE drive. The disk was corrupted by a power brown out. I installed Windows on a SATA drive in the same PC. I followed the instructions in the Knowledge Base, repaired the original installation on the EIDE drive, but then the second copy of Windows XP on the SATA drive stopped working. I believe I had a mismatch between HAL.DLL and NTOSKRNL.EXE (See KB Article 945380). I was unable to fix this following the steps in the KB Article. I wanted to fix the XP installation on the SATA drive so that I could uninstall the program from within Windows. In frustration, I did something I now regret. I removed the hidden and read only file attributes in the Windows XP directory on the SATA drive, using the Windows XP installation on the EIDE drive and attempted to delete the directory. Now, the BIOS stalls during autodetect on that drive and will not progress to start Windows. All I want to do is get the drive recognized by the BIOS so I can retrieve the data on the drive. If I set the BIOS to ignore the drive, then once Windows boots, it is as if the drive is disconnected. If let the BIOS detect the drive, it will stall on autodetect. The system is an ASUS P4P800 running a completely up to date copy of Windows XP (I use Windows Update). The BIOS is AMI dated 2004 and updated in 2006. The BIOS recognizes the first SATA controller as IDE channel 3, and the second SATA controller as IDE channel 4. The drive worked fine until I stupidly tried to delete Windows rather than use the Windows uninstaller. I am pretty sure the problem has to do with the master boot record on that disk. Is there a way to fix it? P.S. I am sending this from the laptop. The PC in question is my desktop.
This is an update to my previous post. To attempt a correction, I disconnected the SATA drive that the BIOS was stalling on during auto detection. I moved the connection for the second SATA drive to that port. Then, I booted the computer, rewrote the BOOT.INI file to indicate only one installation of Windows XP on the default, local (IDE Primary Master, Drive 0), and shut down. When I rebooted the computer, the BIOS worked perfectly. Then, after shutting down again, I reconnected the original SATA Drive 0 to the second SATA port, rebooted, and everything is as it was before this horrible incident. This leaves me with two questions: Do I need to reinstall Windows XP on the SATA drive in order to uninstall the old XP files that remain on that drive? Second, is it possible that this problem was somehow related to the System Volume Information folders on each hard drive?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI