Ok, I messed up. Having some trouble with a newly upgraded system. e.g. New MB, New CPU, New RAM. I’m guessing some sort of conflict with drive assignments or just corrupt boot.ini file had it stuck in boot loop. So I entered Recovery Console.
I have 3 HD’s, 2 of them on IDE (SATA) and 1 of them on IDE (PATA) so dummy me said Ok just delete the extra drive on SATA to solve the conflict. Well, everything worked out, reinstalled XP Home, reinstalled all my drivers etc. But now I have discovered that the drive I deleted was the PATA drive. This drive has data that I don’t want to lose if I can avoid it. I can’t get the computer to recognize the drive now.
Is there an easy fix for this? How can I get the computer to restore the lost data and if I can’t do that, then what do I need to do to get the computer to at least see the drive again.
This ground floor geekI would appreciate any help!
Windows XP Home SP2
GIGABYTE MB Dual Core
1 GB RAM Single slot
wallymeister
wallymeister,
I do not have the answer to your query, but one of our more knowledged volunteers will come by to assist you I am sure.
Meanwhile we are glad you are posting for assistance here so please be patient until the techie who has the answer to your problem comes online to assist you.
kind regards,
tallin,
Thanks for the reply with hope of help on the way. I talked to a friend of mine here at work in the IS dept. He advised me to check if the BIOS sees the drive or not and then if it is listed in Disc Management. I didn't check that. It wasn't listed in Device Manager but didn't think to check Disc management. Also, I have another option if that don't work, to take the drive out and put it in USB enclosure and see if I can get it working again that way on another computer if I have to. Just don't want to take the drive out if I don't have to. Anyway, I'll be watching this forum closely for next few hours for all the expert advise I can get.
Again,
Thanks
Wallymeister
Hi Wally and welcome. I think we need to sort a few things out first, so we are all on the same page. How recent is this system upgrade? That is, did it work fine for a couple weeks then start to fail? Or has it always had problems?
Also, you said,
I have 3 HD’s, 2 of them on IDE (SATA) and 1 of them on IDE (PATA)
PATA = IDE (and EIDE and UltraATA). The world only started using the term "PATA" (parallel ATA) when "S"erial drives became more common a couple years ago. So you cannot have "IDE(SATA)" . Note the IDE drives use the flat ribbon cables, similar to the floppy cable. SATA drives use a much smaller cable and connector (for power too) - much better for cable management, and front to back air flow.
…Ok just delete the extra drive on SATA to solve the conflict.
The only way to "delete a drive" is to physically disconnect the wires from the drive. A hard drive is a piece of hardware. One hard drive can be divided into into smaller sections, called "partitions". Windows treats each partition as a separate drive, though it not. You can delete a partition. Is that what you meant?
The system was upgraded just 10 days ago. I haven't got everything working altogether yet, but I have had it close. I actually think I will be fine now if I just get this one drive working. It seems to be booting fine now with the exception of this one drive not visible.
BTW I think I just posted a reply to tallin at the same time you posted this reply.
OK, my controller terminology is not so good but………..
2 - 200GB Seagate HD's on SATA ports 0 & 1
1 - 500 GB unknown HD on IDE ribbon cable
1 Plextor DVD/RW drive on same ribbon cable
It's the 55 GB'er that is not being seen now that I clicked (In the Windows Recovery Console) "D" to delete partion(this drive had only 1 partition) then it said click "L" if you are sure you want to delete this partition. Thinking that the drive I had selected was one of the 200 GB Seagate drives, I clicked "L". Then I reinstalled Windows on remaining 200 GB Seagate and re booted installed MB drivers, Video drivers etc. and all looks well now except that 500 GB not showing up.
Windows XP Home SP2
GIGABYTE MB Dual Core slot 775 Pentium
1 GB RAM Single slot
GForce 8500 GT Video card
using onboard Ethernet and USB controllers
If there's anything else you need to know about system, let me know
I don't know the brand of drive in question but fairly new bought at Best Buy within last year or so.
When I get home I'll try the things listed in earlier post and keep my progress posted if it works or it don't.
Thanks
wallymeister
Well, I was able to make the drive seen again in Disk Managment but I could not recover the data so I just did quick format and copied all files from my backup USB drive. Took a good little while but, end result, I'm good. Thanks again for all help extended and so this thread I suppose can be closed now.
wallymeister
Hi Wally,
Glad to read of your success, and also that you backup your data…….worth the effort if things go wrong.
I use Ghost and Acronis image backup, both have saved me on the odd ocassion.
Come and see us again sometime when the need arises.
kind regards,
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI