My system seens to have slowed down quite a bit all the sunddely… and not a lot changes have been done to it, or programs added.
and when shutting down, it freezes and I got use the button to shut it..
any help is more than welcomed..
Thanks for you time in advance.
Hello,
May I ask when the last time you updated your software/drivers was?
Lets start with the simple things first. Please download ATF cleaner, but read the information first, and run it.
Some times the machine gets cluttered with way too much carp** and will run slow untill it is cleaned.
After you use the ATF cleaner utillity, please go to the PCpitstop web site and run the full test. (If you right click the Internet Explorer Icon you can select Run as administrator for the test.
This should give a general idea of what is going on with your machine.
You may post a link to your test results, but every one will be able to see this information!
It is best to just tell me;
How much fragmentation you have on your hard drive (%).
Software was about a week ago, I used filehippo.com update checker. and the drivers was about 3 weeks ago when I ran a pitstop and it said my pointing device driver was outdated.
I also use ccleaner once a week. I do a defrag once a week too, followed by error-checking. usually do the error checking overnight.
I can't find the link like it used to be.. I'll try to copy the address and paste here. the only problem that showed was the memory which is at 479.
This is quite old machine, 5 yrs.. but I am in no shape to buy a new one yet.
When you are shutting down the machine do you give it time to shut down?
It is trying to install the updates, but you shut it down before it can finnish. And shuting it down hard is causing problems.
You need more RAM, but you can run it with what you have.
Security software, (antivirus, antispyware), will take up a lot of your memory and slow down the machine.
well, I believe I am allowing plenty of time. If I click to shut down before I go to bed and get up in the morning about 8 hrs later and find a frozen screen of the windows logo. and there is no updates being installed, otherwise the syster tells you to wait while updates are being installed.
and it not like I have Norton or McAfee installed to take tons of memory.
but thanks anyways for the reply HFCG.
Then this sounds like an update that did not install correctly.
May I suggest that you ;1) go into add/remove programs and remove any new updates, or better yet 2) do a system restore from a date before the last updates.
You can get the latest updates again, and hopefully they will install correctly.
It happens some times that an update does not work as it is intended. Some times you have to go to the microsoft download site to get the updates to install properly.
One thing that I forgot to ask, do you have any USB devices pluged in?
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI