Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Everything's SLOW

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guyl

Guyl

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:00 PM

I have a HP Pavilion a1330n desktop running XP Media Center Edition. Things have gradually been slowing down. These would include shutting down the computer - the windows is shutting down page usually freezes and I have to push and hold the on/off button to shut it down. It also includes opening Firefox - it may take 3 - 4 minutes to open a browser. By that time I have hit the desktop icon 3 times and then 3 will open. I usually get a message about whether I want to stop a script that is running so I can continue. Opening files is slow and quite often my mouse will freeze on web pages or while looking through my files. Usually it will unfreeze after a while. Please help and let me know what logs you need. Thanks

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:45 PM

How does it behave if you boot to Safe Mode with Networking? If better then something is starting at boot that is causing the problem.

Use msconfig to determine what is causing the problem.

These are good tutorials on using msconfig in XP or Vista:
How to use msconfig in Windows XP
How to use msconfig in Windows Vista

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Reboot and see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, boot to Safe Mode again, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system.
Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.
Enable everything else you disabled.

Another possibility is malware. If the above doesn't help then go to the Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal forum, read the info there and follow the posted directions. Once you receive a clean bill of health, come back here if you have any additional questions or concerns or it turns out not to be a malware problem.

Please be patient as that is a very busy area. If you do not receive a response in 3 days, post a message here: http://forums.whatth...ays_t78698.html

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 Guyl

Guyl

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:53 PM

Thanks, I'll work on this tomorrow. 3 hours of sleep last night and I'm pulling the toothpicks out of my eyelids and hitting the sack. I'll be back to you soon.

#4 Guyl

Guyl

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 05:44 AM

I think I got it worked out - I believe I had a conflicting program that I deleted. Things seem to be running better now. Thanks for the suggestions. I do have a couple of other questions however. 1. My hard drive was going bad so I replaced it using a program called Acronis PC backup and recovery. During this I also added a second internal hard drive (slave). Because of the way I did it I noticed under Disk Management that my C drive is now listed as disk 1 and my H drive (the slave) is listed as disk 0. The operating system and all program files files are on the C drive as normal. Everything seems to working fine. I plan to move all my files that I created over to the H drive and leave the program files on the C drive. Is there anything wrong with this - I thought normally the C drive should be listed as Disk 0? 2. For some reason now I get a warning about KBD.exe everytime I boot up. I never got that before and the only thing I've added is that Acronis program. I've done some research and I do have a HP desktop computer but I don't have a Logitech wireless mouse. What I've read is that it's no problem - just a nuisance. Is there any way I can keep it from coming up? 3. When I shut down some times the computer gets hung up on the Windows is shutting down page and I have to push the on/off button to shut it down. Any ideas? Thanks again for your help.

#5 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 01:02 AM

You can Disable KBD.exe via MSCONFIG When you added your new Slave drive, did you switch the SATA drive cables, such that C became associated as drive 1 instead of drive 0?
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#6 Guyl

Guyl

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 02:52 PM

I did switch the cables so they should be hooked up correctly for a master and a slave. KBD.exe is not listed in msconfig. Any other thoughts or a suggestion to item 3 listed above. Thanks.

#7 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 11 September 2010 - 03:52 PM

Give Microsoft's User Profile Hive Cleanup a try, see if that helps with #3.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#8 arTech

arTech

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:Photography

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:48 AM

Item #2

You can find and disable KBD.exe with portable tool SysInternals Autoruns.
In Options menu check only Hide Microsoft and Windows Entries and Verify Code Signatures.
Press Everything tab.
Save AutoRuns file with .txt extension before and after changing (you can easy to enable all you disabled).
You can use Find option.

arTech

Edited by arTech, 12 September 2010 - 08:27 AM.

--- prevent rather than cure / better safe than sorry ---