I accidentally went through the system recovery and self test process on my pc which had 5 users. When the computer restarted, all the users and every file was lost, how do i get the files back? PLEASE help me, it is very important.
HP vs17e. I was having trouble with my computer because the taskbar and desktop kept disappearing and then reappearing every few seconds, and i didnt know what system recovery was so i thought it might help, but it just made everything worse. Now my other computer is having the same problems so i dont know what to do. I really appreciate your help though.
Sorry for the delay in responding, just got back from vacation.
HP vs17e is your monitor, not the computer model. It will be Pavilion nnnnn or Proliant nnnnn or something like that. It should be shown on the computer case somewhere, or on a label on the back of the system if no where else. I want to look at the Users manual for your system to see what it says about the HP Recovery process it has. There are usually two paths provided. The default is usually a repair install, where it installs over the existing XP and leaves all you data intact. The other does a format and clean install. If that is the path you took then your data is most likely gone.
Your only hope is that you can get to some of it using programs that search the hard drive for file pointers not currently in use. I've had some success with Restoration. Here is a web page that has lots of possibilities http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads38.html including a link to Restoration.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI