Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

File Recovery?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Noctropolis

Noctropolis

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 12:12 AM

Hi, I was defraging my D: partition, that only contains files(MP3s and setup files), and somehow my PC restarted on its own during the defragmentation process :( Windows started up with errors and ran some tests and deemed many files "clusters" were broken or unreadable. I lost a lot of files, but the space is still occupied. Is there any chance i can recover the files? Thanx

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 wng_z3r0

wng_z3r0

MRU Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts
  • Interests:Cornet, video games

Posted 25 February 2005 - 04:22 PM

what is your operating system? if its xp or win 2k, try this: hit start, run, type in chkdsk hit enter and see what it does..... and i doubt it would work, but you could try a system restore to see what happens...

Edited by wng_z3r0, 25 February 2005 - 04:23 PM.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary #'s & those who dont
Just my 10 cents

Posted Image
Proud member of Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals since 2005

#3 wng_z3r0

wng_z3r0

MRU Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts
  • Interests:Cornet, video games

Posted 25 February 2005 - 04:28 PM

sorry double post/..... oh and if nothing else, you could take the hard drive to your local computer shop to see what they can do... its gonna cost you some $$.... ONe more thing: i take it your system files werent on that partition?

Also try this:

go here:

http://www.quetek.com/prod02.htm

Download the floppy drive version of this utility on another machine, copy it to the floppy, take it to your machine (you do not boot from this floppy, you simply run the app from the floppy)... this insures that none of the files are over written with any of this program being written to your disk.

Run the normal search, and if not found, run the next higher search, if that does not work, go to the highest scanning and see if the files are found.

This is a demo copy of the retail utility. If you can find it with this, then there is a good chance at recovery. If you find it, and you want to try recovery, pay Quetek consulting $40, and they will send you a key to be used that will take the 32k restore limitation off, and allow you to restore your files.

I cannot stress this enough. If you find your data, do NOT restore it to the current disk. Put a secondary disk in the machine or attach a USB drive, something... write your recovery data to that location. If you write to the drive you are recovering from, you stand a chance of over writing what you are trying to recover!

Good luck!

the bad thing is its gonna set you back $40

Edited by wng_z3r0, 25 February 2005 - 05:06 PM.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary #'s & those who dont
Just my 10 cents

Posted Image
Proud member of Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals since 2005