This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Windows xp security centre bug?

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I had a pop-up saying that my pc was infected with spyware, trojans etc and that i must download 'Windows XP Security Center'. So I did!!! I now have a professional looking program asking me to enter my email address and password in order to run program. Please can someone help me to remove this! Should I download HijackThis as a start? Thanks
My name is DFW, and I will be helping you to remove any infection(s) that you may have.

Please note! that all instructions given are customised for this computer only, the tools used may cause damage if used on a different computer or infection.


Please observe these rules while we work:
Perform all actions in the order given.
If you don't know, stop and ask! Don't keep going on.
Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
Stick with it till you're given the all clear.
REMEMBER, ABSENCE OF SYMPTOMS DOES NOT MEAN THE INFECTION IS ALL GONE.

If you can do these things, everything should go smoothly.

Please be patient as I need some time to review your Hijackthis log once you have posted it, and i will post back recommendations for repairs.
As I am still on training, everything that I post to you, must be checked by an Admin or Moderator. Thus, there may be a tiny bit of a delay between posts, but it shouldn't be too long.


Download, install and run HJT

Download HJTInstall.exe to your Desktop.
  • Doubleclick HJTInstall.exe to install it.
  • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis .
  • Click on Install.
  • It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop.
  • Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
  • Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
  • Copy/Paste the log to your next reply please.
  • Don't use the Analyse This button, its findings are dangerous if misinterpreted.
  • Don't have Hijackthis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI