Help!!
I just noticed that the disk cleanup utility is no longer listed in system tools. Disk defrag is there along with other items, but no disk cleanup.. I can still get to the disk cleanup utility OK, but its' no longer listed where it should be with system tools. I'm running Windows XP Home, with SP3, & IE7 with all updates. SP3 was just recently added. Is there away I can add it back to the tool menu?
dhac
Sure thing. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows\system32. Scroll down to cleanmgr.exe, right click on it then select Send to. Choose Desktop as the target.
Next, rename the shortcut you just created on the Desktop to Disk Cleanup.
Now click on Start, Programs, Accessories then right click on System Tools and select Open.
Move the Disk Cleanup Shortcut from the desktop to System Tools by holding down the right mouse button then dragging it there. Release the mouse button and select Move.
Open Control Panel then Folder Options and click on the View tab.
Select "Show hidden files and folders"
Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"
Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)" (click Yes when prompted)
Also, in Windows Explorer, click on View then Details. Much easier to see things.
Now the Windows and system32 folders will be visible.
Ztrucker
I did find the system 32 before I got your latest. I'm learning something new all the time. Also got disk cleanup back where it belongs. I don't how it got out of there in first place. Must been do to my tinkering with things I shouldn't. Also got your message at annoyance.org. Thanks, your help is much appreciated.
dhac
Ztrucker
Just thought of something. What items actually should me on the tools list? I've got 8 items: 1.Disk Defrg, 2.Files & Setting Transfer Wiz, 3. Internet Explorer, 4.Scheduled Task, 5.System Information,6.System Restore, 7.Character Map and now 8. Disk Cleanup. I guess I just thought those were standard issue, but maybe not. Your recommendations would be appreciated.
dhac
Hello,
Just for your information, ATF cleaner will remove items that disk clean up will not.
Disk clean up does not remove Index.dat files that are stored when you browse the Internet.
It is free so why not give it a try?
Do you think ATF Cleaner is better than CCleaner? Looks like they do about the same thing. I like the fact that it doesn't have to be installed.
I didn't see where it said it would cleanup the index.dat files. Which option controls that, Windows temp?
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI