Hi
XP is taking up 2.3 Go !!!
and apparently the first thing to do is empty :
windows/system32/ddlcache
I cannot find it there,
has anybody any idea please.
Thanks
SORRY FOUND IT
Hi Pam_ela,
In my not-so-quick google searching, I found what you probably now know: Start - Run (type)dllcache - enter
Which takes you directly to that hidden folder.
What I continue to have no knowledge of is Why an owner/user would want to Delete the contents of that Folder and what are the benefits/risks.
If you have any online tutorial, reference, or knowledge base articles that you have discovered, will you please link them for my benefit?
Best Regards,
Doug
Hi
Thanks
Found that and got it cleaned down to 2 Go
and all seems ok.
Here is the info that I found : http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show…=80511&st=0
I have followed the indications as far as the help files excluded (50Mo only) all of the prevcious ones were much bigger.
Apparently some folks get xp down to 800 Mo
nlite is a program that might work but I have not the time for the minute -you must copy the xp cd & the sp2 onto the computer then run the program…
Glad to be of help
Thanks Pam_ela,
Interesting read, even though most of the links on that page seem to not work anymore.
(maybe I'd have to register as a member of neowin and bit-quest.)
But I read it through to the 11th page before I got tuckered out…… don't know how many more there are.
Many/Most commented that they were attempting to get their own Windows installation to as small as possible a size…… Just to demonstrate that they could do it.
Excellent "how-to" recommendations for those that might be interested.
No one demonstrated any improved performance/boot speed/etc.
hmmmm. Seems a bit like virtual-anorexia.
I'd need to see some performance measure before launching.
In your own experience, do you see performance improvement?
Thanks again.
Best Regards
For the minute no speed up but my problerm was the space
I was just pleased to free some space.
I have not compacted all the windows file except the exe ones… as they suggest.
Best regards
Thanks dough
I have just repaired windows there were a few frozen application comming up…
So I will start again following this Slimming Down Windows XP guide.
fingers crossed
Many Thanks
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI