I had previously installed Maxthon 2.0 to check out its features. I used it a few times until I started noticing it was acting strange, that is, it would open a new tab and a submit button would come and then would take it to a new page. So I stopped using it when I saw something fishy. I regularly use Firefox and I do not have problem wit it. This only happens in Maxthon.
I checked out the newest version of Maxthon today, hoping it was some bug that got fixed. But after a while I noticed the same thing happening. So I got curious and I searched up again to see if there was anything documented online about this and this is the only place I found. This problem has been made clear by user, identity-x, on this topic
My passwords have not been stolen as I made sure not to go to any such site that require a login.
I'd like to quote that Topic
- Sometimes the address bar would show c:\windows\feedback.html and a "Submit" button would appear in the upper left hand corner of the browser's viewing area (I never clicked it). The feedback.html file itself showed no text and was close to 0kb on my hard drive, but every time I would delete it it would reappear after the next time I got the popup.
- Sometimes it would be exactly the SAME, except before the "Submit" button it would show the keystrokes I had entered since the previous pop-up. Again, a new feedback.html (with nothing in it) would be installed.
And the only contents it has are "salji salji SMfgasOKES2"
I don't know why there isn't anything else about this that I can find online. I am hoping you guys have an answer to my problem. I would like to use Maxthon as the one and only browser for once. I believe that the user, identity-x, formatted his computer. I wish there is a way around this as formatting is not an option for me. If there is anything more you need to know I'm willing to comply.
you can post a hjt log as a starting point for any possible malware on your computer. you should also visit the Maxthon forum and look for FAQ or troubleshooting etc. The latest version came out on 5/8 (v2.1). using a alternate browser is a good thing.
* Doubleclick on the HJTInstall.exe icon on your desktop.
* By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis .
* Click on Install.
* It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop.
* Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
* Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
* Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" and Paste the entire contents of the log in your reply.
thanks for the info.
services.exe should be in the system 32 directory, not in Windows like yours:
C:\WINDOWS\services.exe
it should be C:\windows\system32\services.exe
i would do a online scan here;
ESET online scanner:
http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/
uses Internet Explorer only
check "YES" to accept terms
click start button
allow the ActiveX component to install
click the start button. the Scanner will update.
check both "Remove found threats" and "Scan unwanted applications"
click scan
when done you can find the scan log at:C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
please copy/paste that log in next reply.
you might also get a second antimalware scanner like one of these