This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Memory Issues?

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I'd like to get some advice on optimizing my PC to gain speed. I don't load programs unless they're useful to me, perform maintenance regularly but despite it all my PC seems too sluggish. After booting up and before loading any programs I check my available memory (IObit Memory Cleaner) and have only about 80 MB out of 512 MB. I can't seem to figure out what's using all this memory up when nothing is running other than the programs I have automatically start up. Would increasing memory to perhaps 2 GB going to resolve my issue (I'm a heavy CAD user - AutoCAD, SolidWorks, VISI). Thanks.
What does Task Manager show? Or better yet, the below are all enhanced Task Manager type programs that will show you what is running. Each is nice in its own way. What's Running is probably the easiest, with AutoRuns for the more experienced, and Process Explorer the most popular. With these, for example, you can see what processes are using the various svchost.exe images.

AutoRuns for Windows
Process Explorer
What's Running


You did not provide any information about your computer, in particular, anything about your graphics or your CPU, but generally, 512Mb is the minimum amount of RAM needed to run XP without pulling your hair out waiting all the time. But it is not enough to make XP happy. If you are using on-board graphics, moving to just about any graphics card will help tremendously as the card will have its own RAM that is optimized for graphics processing. So you end up with a better graphics solutions, and previously stolen system RAM used for graphics will be returned to the CPU.

The "sweetspot" for RAM used to be 1Gb, but I have modified my recommendations to 1Gb for single core CPUs, and 2Gb for multi-core and Vista users.

So if you have an older single core CPU, I would recommend 1Gb - beyond that will offer little returns for the money. 2Gb is better, but you will see the biggest bang just by going from 512Mb to 1Gb, and putting the extra towards a better graphics solution.
Hi Digerati,

Thanks for the quick reply.

My goal is to optimize my system and no doubt I will have a lot of learning in the process. As I mentioned, I'm a heavy CAD user (free-lance tooling designer) and my 4-year-old custom PC is much too slow. I burn too much time waiting for start-ups and loading and at times it gets so sluggish that I find it easier to reboot. Any help, advice, tutoring you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

I do realize my memory is at a minimum and I need to add more. Perhaps my graphics card is not well suited for graphics intense CAD programs, too. I'd have no problem with upgrading anything (as I mentioned, it's a custom PC) as long as it results in markedly improved performance. At this point I'm simply not knowledgable enough to make intelligent choices.

I downloaded all 3 enhanced task managers and will spend as much time as I can to educate myself on them. Right now I'm not sure how to utilize all the data these programs present.

I realized, also, that I didn't provide you with any specific info in the OP, but here's some courtesy of EVEREST:

——–[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]————————————————————

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Report Wizard
Computer PETER
Generator USER
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2008-05-02
Time 01:45


——–[ Summary ]—————————————————————————————————–

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name PETER
User Name USER

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 3200 MHz (16 x 200)
Motherboard Name Asus P4C800 Deluxe (5 PCI, 1 AGP Pro, 1 WiFi, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)
Motherboard Chipset Intel Canterwood i875P
System Memory 512 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (11/21/03)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter YUAN RADEON 9600 - Secondary (128 MB)
Video Adapter YUAN RADEON 9600 (128 MB)
3D Accelerator ATI Radeon 9600 (RV350)
Monitor Samsung SyncMaster 191Tplus/193T/197T/MagicSyncMaster CX900T [19" LCD] (HMEWA04271)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Intel 82801EB ICH5 - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-2/A-3]

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel® 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
IDE Controller Intel® 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
SCSI/RAID Controller WinXP Promise FastTrak 378 ™ Controller
SCSI/RAID Controller WinXP Promise RAID Console SCSI Processor Device
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive ST3120026AS (120 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA)
Optical Drive PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-120S (16x/40x DVD-ROM)
Optical Drive TDK CDRW5200D (52x/32x/48x CD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 39001 MB (16364 MB free)
D: (FAT32) 37619 MB (7274 MB free)
E: (FAT32) 37831 MB (24694 MB free)
Total Size 111.8 GB (47.2 GB free)

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse HID-compliant mouse

Network:
Network Adapter 3Com Gigabit LOM (3C940) (192.168.1.33)

Peripherals:
Printer Adobe PDF
Printer Canon MX300 series FAX
Printer Canon MX300 series Printer
Printer Microsoft Office Document Image Writer
USB1 Controller Intel 82801EB ICH5 - USB Controller [A-2/A-3]
USB1 Controller Intel 82801EB ICH5 - USB Controller [A-2/A-3]
USB1 Controller Intel 82801EB ICH5 - USB Controller [A-2/A-3]
USB1 Controller Intel 82801EB ICH5 - USB Controller [A-2/A-3]
USB2 Controller Intel 82801EB ICH5 - Enhanced USB2 Controller [A-2/A-3]
USB Device USB Human Interface Device


I'll be a willing student as far as you want to take me.

Thanks,

Tip
Well, your options are limited by technology as your motherboard does not support PCIe. But there are certainly some nice AGP graphics cards still around, and most CAD programs can tax available RAM, so if budget allows, 2Gb of RAM would be good. The problem using a beefier graphics card and more RAM is you place greater demands on the system cooling, and the power supply. So you have to watch both carefully.

So typically, the best starting point is to set a budget.

Graphics card technologies are advancing rapidly so I generaly point folks to Tom's Hardware Best Cards for the money articles - here's April 08 - remember, you have AGP.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI