This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

trojan horse generic 10.POD

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I have put this topic here because I'm not sure where else it would go. If it is in the wrong place perhaps someone could move it for me. I have avg 7.5 running on my pc and when running a check this morning it came up with the above trojan horse in one of my .exe's on my desktop. The programme is oebkuprst (for backing up & restoring oe). The trojan horse in the keygen.exe file. I went to add/remove programmes to remove the programme, but it is not listed. Removing the .exe winzip folder and the extracted file on the desktop only sends them to the recycle bin, as does removing it in windows explorer. Is there somehow/somewhere else I can remove this programme from? I hope I have explained this ok but if not please ask for more details. I would really like to get rid of this. I don't mind losing the programme as I rarely use it. Thanks for reading and in advance for any help offered. hedley
Hi hedley,
It's best you go here:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/Welcome_New_…ers_t34502.html
follow the directions and post an HJT log over in that forum (not here please!) so that a malware fighter can advise you. They are pretty busy at the moment so you may need to wait a short while …
It would be helpful to make your topic "Referred by Tech Team" and provide a link to this thread here.
Once your machine has been declared clear of infection then please post back here in this thread if you are still having issues with it, and we will do our best to help.
Regards
paws
Since you have already been referred to HJT, I would not want to suggest, and advise making any changes to your system until after the logs have been analyzed, to ensure the logs remain current - reading obsolete logs does no one any good, and keeps folks with current logs waiting that much longer needlessly.

However, note for future reference, you can empty your Recycle Bin - which then deletes the files within. Just right-click and select Empty Recycle Bin. Or you might check out CCleaner - a great disk cleaning program that is excellent at cleaning the system of 1000s of temporary files, including all history, old logs, Recycle Bin contents, and cache files.

Just out of curiosity, what prompted you to run the AVG scan?
Hi, thanks for the replies. Paws: I will get a download somewhere for HJT and post a log. Could you tell me how to link back to my present thread into the HJT forum, please. Digerati, avg updates and runs automatically every day at the time the pc is switched on. I will have a look at CCleaner. Again, thanks for the help, much appreciated. hedley
Again - you should pursue the HJT log avenue first. So, it runs everyday - and is that a new file or program - or has it been scanned several times before by AVG?
Hi Digerati I've had the programmed installed since 19th Feb this year and it is scanned everyday by avg and also checked by at least two spyware programmes. Nothing has been found in it before. I will try the HJT before anything else, just meant I was interested in finding out about CCleaner. Thanks for the help. hedley

I will try the HJT before anything else, just meant I was interested in finding out about CCleaner.
Thanks for the help.
hedley

Great! And here's the rest of my canned text on CCleaner:

During installation, uncheck the option to install the Yahoo toolbar. Before first use, go to Options > Settings > Advanced and ensure Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours is unchecked. To delete all "tracking" cookies, (which I urge you do), you must delete all cookies, so ensure the Cookies setting remains checked. Ensure you know your site credentials (user name and password) for sites you frequent; you will have to login again at next visit. Beginners and experts alike will benefit from the excellent, CCleaner Beginner's Guide.
Hi, sorry for the delay in replying. Haven't been at the pc for a day or so. When I switched on the pc this morning the avg ran as usual and threw up the same trojan horse warning, but then when the summary was done the infection had been removed by avg itself. I ran the test again and everything was clear. I have looked at and run CCleaner. It found quite a lot on the pc, which I deleted. Don't think I'll be delving into the registry part of it though as I'm not that brave. Thanks for all the help. It was much appreciated. hedley

Don't think I'll be delving into the registry part of it though as I'm not that brave.

And for most people, most of the time, they don't have to delve into it. But should you decide to give it a try, CCleaner's Registry is about the least aggressive as you can get - and that's good as then there is much less of chance something gets messed up.

Having said that, I have probably used CCleaner's Registry cleaner 100s of time on as many computers have yet to have one mess up. That said, I still always follow the prompts to backup the registry before making changes - just in case the power goes out or something during a Registry fix and my UPS fails to switch over - :( good thing that has never happened or I might be a bit upset - ;).

Do note that you can use CCleaner's Registry cleaner to simply analyze your Registry and list its findings for your review - you can cancel out at this time before any changes are made.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI