This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Cannot run Taskmgr.exe on Window XP

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, I have been having a problem getting taskmgr.exe to run on my HP Pavilion. I have XP @ Home with all the lastest updates. I can locate taskmgr.exe in the C:Windows\system32/ directory, but when I attempt to click on it I get an error that says "Windows cannot find 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe'. Make sure you typ0ed the name correctly, and try again. …. Also, I used to be able to use the ALT+CTRL+DEL keys to bring it up, but that is not working either. Any ideas? Thanks :pullhair:
Hi Nich

Sorry to hear 'bout that…

There are many known malware programs which can cause this behaviour, so my advice would be to post a HiJackThis-log
in the HJT removal forum. That way we are sure that we are troubleshooting a clean machine, or else all work would be for naught if you're infected by malware. Be patient and don't respond to your own post, as the malware-fighter's are looking for posts which are not replied to. Bumping your post may delay a respond significantly. The malware-expert's are very busy and often the needs exceeds the number of experts available.

You can post a HiJackThis-log here: HijackThis™ Logs and Infections Removal

If your post haven't been replied to in 5 days, post a gentle reminder here: What To Do If You Have No Response In 5 Days?

Hope your PC turns out to be clean :) If so, we can take it from there.

Regards Abydos
Hi Nich Can see you have posted HJT already :thumbup: If the problem remains after a malware expert have had a look on your log, post back here. Good luck. Regards Abydos
Interestingly, my computer (running Vista) has just started exhibiting the same behavior. I can't run taskmgr.exe, even a clean copy of taskmgr.exe off another computer. The exact message I get is: G:\taskmgr.exe The specified path does not exist. Check the path, then try again. Looks like a file that taskmgr.exe depends upon has been removed or otherwise messed with. I've separately confirmed my PC is clean, no viruses or malware. My guess is that this is a side effect of something I recently installed – Windows updates, nVidia drivers, or something similar. In case you see a correlation, here are some things I've recently installed: Monitor Calibration Wizard 1.0 NewBlue Cartoonr for Vegas NVIDIA Drivers (the new 4/2008 set for 8800GTS 512) Apple Software Update Firefox 2.0.0.14 Adobe Reader updates (to v 8.1.2) Logitech Setpoint update Debugmode Wax 2.0 Quicktime MS Office Updates 7-Zip 4.57
I found the answer!!

This problem is caused when Process Explorer (from Microsoft) is run on a system, the option to replace Task Manager is selected, and then Process Explorer is deleted or moved to a different location.

The fix:

1. download Process Explorer
2. extract it into a "known stable" location. I suggest "c:\program files\processexplorer" (i.e., don't just run it from desktop as I originally did)
3. Run procexp.exe
4. On the Options menu, select Restore Task Manager

Now try running taskmgr.exe - it should be restored!

Of course, now that you have a stable installation of Process Explorer in a known location, you can go to the Options menu and re-select Replace Task Manager.

Monty
You're absolutely correct. I had used the process exployer in the past, but stopped for some reason. Great detective job, Monty. :thumbup: Thanks, Larry

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI