This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

missing TaskManager

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, Not quite sure when it stopped working but Taskmanager is no longer available when summoned by cntrl+alt+delete. Neither does the three finger salute reboot the computer on second try. Looked for taskmgr.exe file and couldn't find it. Did a regedit review and found taskmgr under microsoft\windows\software\ etc. The value was set to zero so that didn't seem to be the problem. Probably shouldn't have deleted the whole thing, which I did. Ideas? Here's the header from a hijack this log: Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 4:26:00 PM, on 9/4/06 Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106) Thanks.
Hi pezfarm,

Probably shouldn't have deleted the whole thing, which I did.


Which "whole thing" would you be referring to here?

Fortunately, Win98 has System File Checker.
Hopefully, you have the Win98SE installation CD

Start - Run - (type)sfc /scannow - enter

Have the Win98SE installation CD handy for SFC to copy fresh replacement files to your Operating System.

Best Regards
Thanks. SFC found 5 or six files missing or corrupted and they were replaced (also a couple of trojan downloader viri which were quarantined), though I didn't notice taskmgr.exe as one of the files replaced. The file I deleted a few days ago was from the run regedit command. It was under hkey_local machine/software/microsoft/windows/current version/policies/system (I think). Also ran this string under HKey Current users. Can't remember which key I deleted it from. But the file I deleted (don't know what I was thinking) was taskmgr and had a string value of 0 which shouldn't have disabled taskmanager (my understanding at least). Unfortunately, my mom taught me to always empty the trash….so I couldn't restore it from the recycle bin. I just checked again and the SFC replacement process didn't restore it either. Just checked and the task manager still wasn't working. Kind regards, Pez.
Read this MS article, which may give you enough information to Restore your Registry, or at least to know what needs to be done, in the event you need further assistance.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/221512/EN-US/

I'm glad that you were able to successfully run SFC,
However, you sing too high a praise for its ability.
While it can and does restore missing or corrupt Operating System files, it does not rid your machine of Trojans.

You may have run some other good utility on your own initiative. Good work.

Best Regards
Yes, Norton caught the trojans. I was just getting ready to follow the registry replacement process you sent when I thought I'd try the three finger salute again and voila! There's the task manager. Thanks for your help. Add another notch to your gun. Best, Pezfarmer

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI