when I type msconfig in the run box, I get "windows can't find msconfig." When I search for msconfig I find it in c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386, and in c:\windows\pchealth\helpctr\binaries, and in c:\windows\softwaredistribution\download\16b2c96a0c41f4dfdb4d3cc228a4f819. I can run msconfig by clicking on each one of these.
Also my task manager button is grayed out
But since you add that you were having Task Manager problems, I worry about this being malware. Can you open Regedit, or systeminfo? Have you run a complete anti-malware scan? Do you keep your system current? What do you use for anti-malware tools. Do you use P2P sites for file sharing?
Trying Kelly's trick will not hurt anything, and should reset a simple corruption issue in the Registry. But my concern is it may not be simple.
If that is AVG 8.0, then good. Starting with version 8.0, AVG includes real-time scanning for spyware, as well as other types of malware.
If still using AVG7.X or earlier, then you need to get to 8.0 now, or get a real-time antispyware scanner. I like Malwarebytes's Anti-Malware (MBAM), SUPERAntiSpyware Pro (real-time scanning on Pro (paid) version only), and I have Windows Defender running on 2 test systems in guest rooms that are doing well.
You might benefit by having your HijackThis log analyzed. See What TheTech HijackThis Log Procedures for complete instructions on running HijackThis, then post a log where instructed. Please refer to this post so they can catch up. When the HJT analysts give you a clean bill of health, please post back here with an update.
Well, they are busy so you will have to be patient. And we really should not be working on this while you are waiting for the analysis - we don't want to skew the results.
Thanks for the response.
I still can't run msconfig from the run dialog box and my pc runs very slowly. Frequently the CPU is 100%. Any help would greatly appreciated. I won't be able to try any fixes till this evening, but I anxiously await you help