Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Can't change my homepage

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Amebeo

Amebeo

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 12:31 PM

My ISP recently switched from insight to comcast. I tried to switch my homepage to comcast but I can't seem to get rid on insight as my homepage. It will not let me delete it. My current solution is to have two hompages wich is annoying. How can I Keep comcast.net and get rid of insight?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 John Hook

John Hook

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:29 PM

Amebeo, By your "homepage", are you taking about the default page that comes up when you open up your browser? If this is the case, you can simply change the default page in your browser's settings. If you're referring to a user-customized home page that you had previously set up with your old ISP, I would go to: ww.askcomcast.com/contactus.asp click Chat now This will connect you to a Comcast representative who should be able to help you with this. - John

#3 Amebeo

Amebeo

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:33 AM

Yes I do refer to the default page. I don't care about customizing it necessarily. I just want quick easy access to my e-mail if I should choose. The nature of the problem is I can’t change my browser settings. I tell it to delete Insight and make Comcast the default page. Apply… OK… and when it closes it returns to the way it was as if I had done nothing. The only way I can get Comcast.net to come up is to have it come up and leave insight there as well. So I now have two default homepages that open with my browser. I thought it could be ad-aware blocking my change as has in the past but turning it off didn’t change the situation. There must be some setting that prevents the change from happening right? I just don’t know what it would be. The only program that has done that to me before is ad-aware.

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:02 PM

Hi, One of the first things to check is to see if one of your security products is blocking the change. For example Spybot or Webroot Spy Sweeper will block any changes in your home page to protect your machine from having the bad guys.. Lots of other security products will do the same so you will need to check the settings on each one. Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 Amebeo

Amebeo

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:45 PM

It was either zone alarm or ad-aware. I'm still betting on add-aware, but I turned both off completely, even though they are both suppose to promt me before blocking or allowing, it worked then add-aware asked if it was OK. I don't understand why it didn't work when I shut add-aware down before to do it but both it and zone alarm down worked. Nor do I understand why it didn't ask me before auto blocking the change. Sometimes that program is as much a curse as a blessing.

#6 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 01:29 AM

Thats good news, that you are now able to change your homepage...I guess Ad Aware was trying to protect you, but ended up thwarting you. Never mind it's good that your protections worked ....even if they were being over zealous :D Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#7 Amebeo

Amebeo

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 01:13 PM

Never mind it's good that your protections worked ....even if they were being over zealous :D

True

Thanks Paws.