This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Will not let me change my homepage

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Yesterday I was logging on to my own bank and somehow Bank of America (which is NOT my bank) came up as my homepage and now, no matter what I do, it will not let me change it. I typically have Yahoo!, and I have tried a couple of different ways to change it back and it just won't work. I am running Windows 7. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
What have you tried? Normally you can go to Yahoo, then click on Tools (or the round gear if Win 7 and IE9) then select Internet Options. Click on the Use Current button.
As I explained in my original post I have tried it a couple of ways. One being, just what you said Tools>Options>Current location (also tried default, which showed it being Yahoo!). I was also told to try "dragging" the Yahoo icon from the toolbar to the little house…also did not work. It still goes back to the B of A homepage.

Yesterday I was logging on to my own bank and somehow Bank of America (which is NOT my bank) came up as my homepage and now, no matter what I do, it will not let me change it. I typically have Yahoo!, and I have tried a couple of different ways to change it back and it just won't work. I am running Windows 7. Any suggestions would be appreciated!


It is possible that you may have become infected by malware when you attempted to log-in to your own bank, but instead ended up at BofA.
This could have happened if you made a mistake when entering the address, or if you used a search engine and clicked on a wrong link.

However, other factors may limit your ability to change IE Homepage:

such as:
Spybot Search & Destroy
Other AntiVirus / AntiMalware products? what are you running on that machine?
Perhaps an IE add-on

If you have Spybot, temporarily disable it, then attempt to change Homepage
or
Load IE as "Run As Administrator" then attempt to change Homepage
(remember to close that instance of IE before doing any general browsing)

You may benefit from posting for a checkup over in our Malware Removal Forum: http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showforum=27
You may also have installed software that prevents the home page from being changed. Some Anti-virus and Firewall software does this as well as software like Spybot Search & Destroy with the Tea timer option active.
No Spybot and no new software installed. I guess I will try the Malware Removal link because nothing else seems to be working!
OK I have just discovered the exact same problem on a user's computer running Vista - both Firefox and IE9 are set to hxxps://www.bankofamerica.com, and NOTHING will let me reset them! Running AV and malware scans but nothing yet.
My Explorer lets me change my homepage but after closing & re-opening, it always defaults to BING search which is not my homepage. This is annoying as carp**. I already uninstalled the toolbar that my computer says was doing it, but it's still running on my computer anyway. How do I get rid of it?
Finally found the answer in internet Options, it had 'appbarrio' set as my default search…and for some reason that was automatically resetting my homepage every few seconds. I deactivated & removed that, now my homepage stays fine… Don't ever install anything called 'appbarrio' it is spammy as heck!

I've had a friend who had the same problem .. tried to reset it by going to options … all the links to the home page are whited out so you can't change them …even after following the directions on reseting Internet Explorer 10 …  so as a last resort I opened another tab on my IE version 10 and after having two tabs open … typed in the homepage I wanted on the  second tab… I was able to make the new home page as my default home page …as this option was offered on the tabbed page .. this worked … but seems to be the only way to do it ? And when I go back to the options page even though I got the new hompage as my Default .. It is still whited out and unable to change from the internet opiions page .. but atleast I got my homepage back …

mrcreigs

You should try resetting IE:  How to reset Internet Explorer settings

 

Then set you default home page and change any other settings.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI