This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Graphics/Login issue returns after reformat

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I thought I fixed an HP Pavilion by reformating and reinstalling Windows, but a few days later the problem returned. It occurs sporadically and with varying symptoms so it is puzzling to diagnose. Symptoms: 1. Graphics become distorted either on boot screen (parts of the white logo missing) or while OS is running 2. Letters are incorrect in the boot screen, configuration dialog, etc.: Rs become Ls (or a different letter), Ms and other letters are replaced by the wrong letter or character 3. While running, performance slows, screen hangs, reboot and the above issues or just cannot login after reboot Attempts to fix: 1. Reinstall Windows XP, reformatting drive. 3-4 times. 2. Install Ubuntu Linux 3. Reset Memory (pop out,, replace) 4. Reconnect battery (pop out, pop back in) All of the above will seem to fix the problem until: 1. A few days pass (or with Ubuntu, sometimes a couple weeks). 2. A high resolution / 3D graphics game is run 3. A USB flash drive is run for 15 minutes to a couple hours (the flash drive and the laptop seem to become hot. The flash drive works fine in two other computers) Does anyone know what might be wrong? Is this probably something I can fix myself (say by replacing parts, downloading software, etc.)? (Laptop is not under warranty) Is this something a local pc repair shop might be able to really fix for low amount of money or am I better off saying goodbye to the whole thing? P.S. I am new to the forums, please exuse if this isn't the right place/way of posting, and let me know how to correct it. I did a search, but it is hard to think of the right keywords for this problem.
From the symptoms you are describing it sounds like it could be a couple of things, but I'll list the few that could cause your issues in order of probability:

1) the issue is a hardware issue (as in: bad motherboard, bad video controller, short somewhere)
2) corrupted bios. (this can be fixed by finding the updated bios and bios flash utility from the notebook/motherboard manufacturer's website.
Be VERY VERY VERY (can't stress this enough) CAREFUL when flashing the bios. If you do not use the correct bios, or the laptop loses power in any way when flashing the bios you've just turned it into a very expensive paperweight. I'd highly suggest letting a professional flash the bios if you know one.
3) Heat issues. (CPU or Hard Drive not being cooled suffeciently)
3) bad connection to the monitor from the motherboard.


A few questions for you to try and troubleshoot the issue though:

1) does the issue still appear when the laptop is plugged into an External monitor?
2) what version is your bios? does it have a Hardware monitor in the bios to monitor CPU temp?
3) When was the last time the CPU has been repaired?
4) Has it experienced any recent issues with black/brown outs or Power surges? (i.e. plugged into a wall when the power surges/reductions happened)?



Let me know and I'll try and help you troubleshoot further.

thanks for your patience.

1) does the issue still appear when the laptop is plugged into an External monitor?

External monitor display matches the laptop screen when booting.

2) what version is your bios? does it have a Hardware monitor in the bios to monitor CPU temp?

No hardware monitor for CPU temp in bios. Information from Bios:
Notebook Model Pavilion zd7000 (Dr341U#ABA)
Processor Type Intel 4
Speed 2.66 GHz
Memory 512 MB
BIOS F.03
KBC Version 28.18
Video Memory 64MB

3) When was the last time the CPU has been repaired?

Never, that I know of. PC was at my mother's, had issues after a Norton update. She set it aside for a year or so. I came in, reinstalled windows, and thought I fixed it (see above).

4) Has it experienced any recent issues with black/brown outs or Power surges? (i.e. plugged into a wall when the power surges/reductions happened)?

Not that I know of.

Thank you for your help.
I have gone to the HP website and checked out the model of your laptop and according to HP your bios is VERY out of date. The current bios is F.34 as compared to your F.09 It would be my first recommendation to get the bios flashed. If you go to www.hp.com and input the model number of the laptop in their Drivers & Support Section You should be able to download an executable that will Auto flash your bios. Again, only do this if you Feel EXTREMELY comfortable doing so, and you need to absolutly make sure the machine does not lose power during the flashing process. After this is done, report back and let us know how it went.
Thank you for your help. I reinstalled windows so I could use HP's exe tool. Flashing the BIOS with this tool proved to be easy and fast. I kept it plugged in, as recommended. So far the issue has not returned and the computer seems to be running well. I tried a graphics game for a little while just to test it. Granted, I did not run it for very long, but I had no issues afterward. Since the problem has seemed cured and returned, I waited a while before posting back. No issues, yet… Thanks again.
Not a problem, If you need anything else don't hesitate to ask. I'm glad that you are now up and running in correct working order. Have a great weekend. :adios: :adios: :adios:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI